1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Salt or pickle?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by stoz, Jan 16, 2007.

1. stoz

stoz Guest

I am just after some info,
    A customer brought a boar in to me this morning that had been killed 24 hours ago the weather here is really humid.
    I told the customer that it was probably too long dead in this weather to be sure of sucess, with the mount.
    It didn't smell all that bad and caped out fine I also fleshed it off fairly well, I then rolled it up and put it straight into the freezer.
    I just think it might be a bit risky to salt it.
    Can I put the cape straight into the pickle and then tan it without salting the cape?

???

2. cold trapper

cold trapper age 15 a trapperman w/7 prime rats!

Yea, :) :) if it's fleshed good this is a plus...throw it right in the pickle. stir 3 times a day and add an enzyme after 3 days. write me back after a few weeks. or just come on this forum for your next step! ;) :)

3. Larry B

Larry B New Member

Never roll a cape and freeze. Your best chance at success is to salt and let dry naturally (w/out heat). Resalt the cape after the first day with fresh salt.

4. JohnW.

JohnW. Guest

I agree with Larry,your best option is to get that critter salted so you can get the hair set. :eek:

5. mount it

mount it My Mount

You can also do a salt brine. 2 lbs of salt to a gal of water.Mix 3-4 gal and Put it in stright from the freezer and soak over nite. Next morning, rinse in plain water and put in the pickel. I do all my deer capes this way now. You do not have to try and rehydrate the dry salted skin. Randall

6. stoz

stoz Guest

Thanks for all the info I appreciate it.