1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Stop Rot question....

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Terry, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Terry

Terry De-lighted to be living in Alaska!

Got a question, and I will admit- it may be an answer is somewhere beyond the orange button. But due to a number of issues (my home computer doesn't like the new format and my work computer has had separate issues) I have not been able to delve into the vastness that is the archives, at least not the way I would like to.

Question is this: I have a friend with a moose cape. I think the cape is solid myself. Medium cape...17 x 35 were the measurements... My friend was delayed in fleshing it. He has personal designs for it, so no one is out anything except him, if all goes south. I told him I had read many good things about stop rot, on capes that may possibly have issues (I have never used it myself). For a moose cape that size, how much would my friend want to order? It is for the cape only.

Thanks in advance. Have a super weekend.

2. Dan K

Dan K New Member

It will prob. take about 4 oz. or so, maybe a little more. As far as I know it is only sold in quarts, tho I would like to see it sold in gallons.

3. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Terry, the one bottle should be more than enough. As far as a "measure" a ballpark of a fluid ounce for each pound of green cape will get him there. Using too much will not hurt a thing, but nothing will be gained either.

STOP-ROT, even though a clear liquid, will give a person working with it "visuals" as guides.

The first one will be a milky color cast when first applied. This is a result of bunches of little microscopic gas bubbles being formed as a result of chemical reactions.

You can also easily tell if enough was used because the hair side will "sweat" about an hour after application at + or - 70 degrees F. Faster at higher temps, slower at lower temps. The same reactions that produced the gas bubbles also produce water. Something like a rapid rehydration taking place with the solubile fluids in the skin.

It doesn't get much easier than using STOP-ROT.

Dan, there are a few reasons why STOP-ROT is available in quarts only. The two biggest are keeping quality consistent, and keeping price down.

A chunk of cost of production at manufacturing end is that of packaging, which has to take in bottle performance in shipping/freezing/bursting strength/the guy on the tow motor that doesn't know what DO NOT STACK OVER TEN HIGH means/leakage/plastic blend, corrugated cardboard containers made to specs, full semi-trailer loads, versus job lots (getting bored yet?) and labor. If I remember right, the cost of packaging in a pint versus a quart was a nickel all factors considered EXCEPT labor, and now we have doubled that. I could rattle on, but I'm sure you've got my drift.

Both you guys just experienced your first Karmalization.

4. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

we are getting ready in my house to do some karmalization of fall apples