1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

DU is trying to sell a wild shot bird

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Gun N Run, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

The farts can be bartered or sold, but only for the purpose of making fishing flies, pillows, or similar products. Also, they can NOT still be attached to any part of the bird!

2. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

The CO officer could not tell the difference between a Mandarin and a wood duck? That man should not have a job involving birds, period!

3. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

"Any how now what they do is. Have a Glass case and auction off the glass case and a free duck mount with it."

...Im not criticizing wildwings here, just using his quote as an example to point out that his chapter is also wrong. I wouldnt dare do this either, its the same as auctioning just the mussles. Its still bartering. I dont think some realize what its like to deal with the feds. I wouldnt touch this with a TWENTY foot pole!

4. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

Sorry Kamohunter but you are 100% incorrect. It is 100% illegal and I am "sure beyond a shadow of doubt"

5. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

ALL these angles have been tried and tried and,,,,tried... "selling the mount bird is just habitat at no charge ::)",,,,,,,,,,,,,"selling case, bird just happens to be in it" ::),,,,,,,,,,,"selling the taxidermy not the bird ::),,,,,,,,,,,,,,All rediculous tap dances that will lead to one thing,,,,,a federal full misdemeanor up to a full felony conviction FOR YOU!!! :eek: :eek: Ducks Unlimited is NOT beyond the laws ~~they actually NEED to be the example setters ~~ ::)

6. I could be wrong, but I took it as he was donating the glass case for the auction & whoever bought it would take their bird to have it mounted for free. I very well could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

7. nate

nate Active Member

I hope they do get nailed!! Its gotten to be too corperate. Its all about the benjamins they them people. I was on a commitee for a year, I found out what that was all about. Sure, they raise alot of money"for the ducks" so we can raise them and then some of the big shots go to mexico and central america and murder the hell out of them!! I've seen people spend hundreds of dollars on raffle tickets to win some stupid gun when they could have to a gun dealer and got the same one for way cheaper, but too cheap to get a bird mounted. Ya, I'm sure I'll get thrown under the bus for this comment but thats why I live in America, so I can have my own opinion. ;) Thank you and have a good day. :)

8. Gun N Run

Gun N Run Member

its only legal to sell a duck fart if you have a liquer license.

9. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

That's how I took it too. The buyer furnishes the bird.

10. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

I am on the local NWTF committee and one of the committee members got some taxidermist to donate some mounts to auction off at our yearly banquet( wild shot birds) I told them that it was a big no no and showed the president that it can be done. needless to say they didn't auction it off. Not all conservation programs are bad they just don't know the laws.

11. wildwings

wildwings New Member

Yup thats what I was trying to say. The buyer then as to bring in there own bird to have mounted.

12. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Its still a barter on the bird mount. I really do understand what you are saying, the winner brings his own bird. Its that intent that gets one in trouble on this. At this point, I cannot say from experience, but I would still stay clear. If you absolutely HAVE to do it, drop the whole glass case part, and just auction off a taxidermists services for, say, $350 and whatever the winning bid uses it for at the taxidermists shop, so be it. He could still DISPLAY a waterfowl mount as an EXAMPLE, but Id go no further. I hope you guys understand what I am saying. Just be so sure, before you do that stuff. If you get ticketed, the local newspaper wont be so specific...

13. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

im not going to sit here and argue about this but if i am wrong and its iillegal then so be it. im not involved in that particular event anyway so no sweat to me. there are a lot of people getting away with stuff because it is a raffle and not an auction. thats the biggest difference. and as for you Mr George..... you need to learn some manners and i dont care how old you are. there is no need to go out and call me an idiot for something like this. i have read the same manual as you.. front to back. and i know good and well what it says about selling bartering and trading warterfowl and parts thereof so on and so forth.  i wish i could find the stinking post to back this up but for the life of me its not showing up. a few months ago an individual came on here and asked a simple question about legal issue regarding waterfowl at which point i forwarded to him in a post a link to the USFWS regs on the net. the next or second post after that was from you stating that those were more less guidelines.... not something to live by. George i respect your opinioins and all you have done to help this industry, however before you go calling someone a idot, you better not be runing around here saying two different stinking things about the same topic.

14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

KAMohunter, just for a second, let's presume you didn't say that and at least once a week, every week for the past dozen or so years you had worked with your local DNR and mounted most of the birds in the closest National Wildlife Refuge. Say you had the personal phone number of the chief enforcement officer in your area and you had read and UNDERSTOOD everything contained in the 50CFR series and someone stated what I have highlighted in RED, what would YOU call them? And would you mind terribly if I asked you to quote where I called YOU an IDIOT. I certainly may have missed it and if I did, I'll come back and apologize.

15. cedarhill

cedarhill Member

Yes I agree with George, there are playing with fire

16. wildwings

wildwings New Member

Hey Bill I sent you a PM just a heads up !

17. KAMoHunter

being only three posts after mine and withthe way the comments in your first post. i to9ok this comment in your quitae as directed at me. if it was not. then you have my apologies but if it was then it was unnecessary

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It seems as if you're one of those perpetual victims we have in society. The post was directed to Gun N Run and addressed the issue HE was dealing with along with the person HE was dealing with. I can see how someone like you would assume what you did. One should NEVER make a post of being "positive beyond all shodow of a doubt " without verifiable proof. Misinformation like yours could absolutely destroy some taxidermist who read that and took you at your word.

19. KAMoHunter

how in the world did you get perpetual victim out of that. you have not at any point heard me complain about something someone said in any post i have made on here other than this one. your point is valid about other taxidermists possibly taking something like that the wrong way. the fact is that i have posted several different comments on here that defended your opinion when others didn't like it. one disagreement and misinterpretation of what i took as directed at me and you have labled me a perpetual victim and so forth. come on man get real. like i said if it wasn't directed at me then its a misunderstanding and i said that i would aplogize for that as well. so george if the comments wasn't to me then i am sorry for the post. but this is far from some of the other whinny little cry babies that come on here and say that they got their feelings hurt because someone told them the truth and they didn't like it. at least i was man anough to come out and say that i was sorry for taking it the wrong way.... which far knocks me out of the perpetual victim category altogether. i dont think the world owes me crap. again sorry for the misunderstanding of your post.

20. Memory Maker

Memory Maker New Member

I was a member of D.U. and on local committee for 20 years.Got out when the committee members became finacially responsible for any looses.If these committee members are so blatten-ed to try this let them pay the fine D.U. Will not back them they will be personally liable.D.U. will and has done anything to get around the law.They do not buy liquor licences when they serve alcohol at a dinner.They are only selling the cups,what you put in them is your problem.This is illegal in Iowa and they have done this until they got caught they do not do it anymore.