1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

need help repairing holes!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by tmoos111, Apr 23, 2009.

1. tmoos111

tmoos111 Member

I need help sewing holes everytime I sew a hole no matter if it is short or long hair I get a little ridge where the hair sticks up. I know this is because I'm getting hair in the stitch but I have tried several different ways and no matter what I do its the same result. can someone please describe to me what your process for sewing is. I also cut a football shape before I start sewing. please tell me if I need to start from the hair side or the skin side and what kind of stitch to use. I have been using the baseball stitch. somebody please help me!!!!!!!!! oh yea pictures are welcome thanks Travis
  2. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I cut from the skin side so I don't cut any hairs and use the baseball stitch sewn from the skin side as well........try taking hemostats and clamping the hole shut in small sections so you can tuck your hair through and keep everything ligned up.... go slow and make small stitches. if your get a little collick you can card it down while wet and that should help a ton. Next one you have to do take pictures of your process and mabey someone can see what you are doing different that's causing problems

3. Hold the edges together and use a loop stitch,
  4. Oh yea i forgot , Lay the skin on a flat surface and gently hammer the seam flat!
  5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm with Tazz as baseball stitches just beg to pucker a hide (like they do on a baseball). The most COMMON mistake made in stitching holes, however, is cinching the thread too tightly. To prevent that, learn how to make a "lock stitch" and simply SNUG the edges together before looping the "lock" snug as well. With a lateral cut as Harley describes, the hair above the cut will cover any minute gap you may have left anyway and you won't risk breaking hairs by malletizing the hide.
  6. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

A brass brush is good for combing hair out of stitches.
  7. tmoos111

tmoos111 Member

thanks for the help everyone I will take some pics so everyone has an idea of what is going on. this is really driving me crazy. George do you have any resources on where i can learn to do a lock stich? thanks travis.
  8. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

yeah I forgot to mention that George that when I do do a baseball stich I don't cinch it super tight just enought to bring the hide together. A lock stich is a simple single knot to lock it in half way or 1/4 way through or where ever so it doesn't seperate any or in this case keep cinching tighter past the knot the further you progress.
  9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

On this tutorial they call it the BLANKET STITCH. I've always referred to it as a "lock stitch as it keeps the thread from slipping.

10. Also try stiching with a curved needle - Reverse Cut
  11. OutbackJack

OutbackJack New Member

one thing I do is lightly spray the fur/feathers with a little water. It helps a little. Make sure you blow it dry later.