1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtan hide

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ekd4176, Apr 23, 2009.

1. ekd4176

ekd4176 New Member

I tanned a fox hide in Krowtan for the purpose of hanging the hide on a wall. It got pretty rigid. Does anyone know if you can rehydrate a hide after using Krowtan? I would like relax it to practice with a pedestal mount. Thanks Eric
  2. It is a mounting tan not a wall hanging tan.

3. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

Brushy kinda sorta has a point there.
    If the tanned hide was tumbled it would be a little softer as well. You should be able to rehidrate it for mounting though. Do a search on these forums for krow tan and see what others have done. You could also search for rugs.
  4. Antlersrjs

Antlersrjs God never said Life Would be Fair.....

Wet tans can be re hydrated, but don't use warm water I know some do and it works but it's so much easier for hair slippage with warm. It's up to you but there is always a chance of losing any cape when re hydrating. I've only lost one and that's when I used warm water. It might have already been a bad cape but I just don't want to chance it. I put Lysol in my water with some salt but I don't think you need the salt for this. Research re hydrating baths and see what several say.