1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

mouse

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Jan, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Jan

Jan New Member

I know that I have seen..somewhere on here (in the new forums) about skinning a mouse. I have searched the old archives and the new and can't find it. Of course I seen it before I needed to know how to skin one. I have looked on Amy's site as the old archives said and I think she removed the skinning from her site as I don't see it. What am I doing wrong with my searches? I have typed mouse in the search area and get alot of info on mice but not how to skin one. I did find one in the old archives that stated to use small tools..lol. Help please.

2. WILDLIFER

WILDLIFER " Damn Mini Flesher !"

Mouse or Moose technique the same on a WAY smaller scale ;)

3. Jan

Jan New Member

lol..ok...when I get this little critter done..I will post a pic.., it's going to be in the mouth of a weasel... at least that's what I plan on doing :)

4. Derrin

Derrin New Member

Jan, I enterd "mouse Mounting" in the old forums, and came up with a good bit of info, but nothing actually telling how to skin, other than, take your time, and do as you did the weasel. There was a bit of info where someone attended a DannyOwens seminar and he placed a sponge in the part of the animal,(mouse) that would be in the weasel's mouth.It worked well. Good luck, and post us a pic when you finish.

5. Linda

Linda New Member

Jan,
    You are braver than me. I have to put on the magnifying headband thingy when I get to the feet on a squirrel, lol. Best of luck, cant wait to see the finished work!

6. Jan

Jan New Member

Great idea Darrin...I think I will try that..don't think mounting the rear of a mouse would be too hard! I must have missed that archive. I spend hours looking in the old archives for skinning info and like you I didn't find any info that I could use. Thanks again.

Jan

7. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

Hi Jan!

Yes, I used to have photos of skinning a rat on my website. I recently removed it from my main homepage since I was trying to "clean things up" a bit and make the page more business-oriented.

However those pages still exist... click this link and this page will take you step by step

http://www.amystaxidermy.com/pages/1.htm

A mouse can be skinned just as shown in the photos, or I actually prefer to use a case incision on a mouse (between the two back legs rather than down the belly). I just tube them out, borax, and fill with a wad of clay the size of the removed carcass. Then you can "model" the clay from the outside. It is really easy to get an anatomically correct shape this way.

-Amy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a mount that sounds similar to what you're wanting to do... this would have looked better with a small mouse but the customer wanted the rat

[​IMG]

8. Linda

Linda New Member

Amy,

Those pinkys in the nest...mounted or molded?

9. Amy, your mounts a great, truly an art? Good work seems like I would have to really increase my patients on those pieces. I'd like to know also about the babies mice, how did you do that?

10. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

Thanks Bowhunter ... it does take patience - and having small hands helps!

The pinkies were simply sculpted out of pink apoxie sculpt! Mounting actual pinkies is something even I wouldn't try. I tinted the apoxie sculpt to the exact color that I wanted so that I wouldn't have to paint over it and have them just look "painted". I did take some light grey paint and dab in on the eyes to give the appearance of the eyes showing thru the skin.

11. Jan

Jan New Member

Thank you soooooooooooo much Amy. I can only hope my weasel turns out 1/2 as nice as yours. Your mice are truly incredible. I do have alot of patience and it looks like I'm going to need it. Thanks for the link to your site.

Jan

12. creepers

creepers natural history preparator

Love your work amy, great little mount ☺

13. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

As stated above, Mouse or Moose, the techniques are the same. Getting a mouse skinned isn't hard, its just delicate work and you need to take your time, but not go too slow. If the mice are frozen, thaw them in the fridge in a tightly sealed jar of denatured alcohol. Pull them out when thawed and skin them with a ventral cut. Use forceps and small wooden tools to push the skin away from the muscle. Once you get it skinned out, throw the skin back into the alcohol jar and let it soak. When you are ready to mount, pull the skin, wash it and then DP and mount the thing. I have found that soaking them kills any bacteria and lets you have a bit more working time when skinning them. I do this with anything smaller than a chipmunk. I might be going in circles, but it has worked for me. I mounted over 100 mice conventionally a few years ago for a NYC store, so it got me through that.