1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tutorial: What I Know About Bears

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by George, Apr 23, 2009.

1. George...can you maybe to a tutorial for bears?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I don't think that would work. I'm no expert on them by any stretch and there are excellent tapes out there for this purpose. I tell everyone that a video is as close to "hands on" as you can hope for. If you get BREAKTHROUGH Magazine, I did an article on Ken Walker mounting a grizzly from flotation billets a few years back that would offer you much better information by someone who truly is an expert on them.

3. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Good post George. A lot of stuff in this will be useful for my next bear.

4. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

George thank you for takeing the time, This will definately help alot.

5. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Another thanks for taking the time....I'm sure it took awhile. It will help lots of people.

6. Jenaway

Jenaway I never met a person I didn't like!

George and Ken, thanks!
    Thanks for posting the info George. I never realized about #1. I can't do bears right now, but hope to get healthy enough to do them in the future. Well done young man!

7. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch I hunt therefore I am.

Thanks George good info but I thionk you missed the most important fact about bears. Baby bears porridge is always just right!

8. godawgsrw

godawgsrw New Member

Very good stuff here, thanks George.

9. deerhunt1985

deerhunt1985 Only dead fish go with the flow

greatly appreciated info, thanks

10. Beaglesweat

Beaglesweat Member

Good write up George.
    I would like to add one suggestion. When I order a lifesize bear form and I know I'm gonna have to alter it I always ask them to send it without threaded rod in the legs. Then when I get the form its easier to cut, alter, and pose the legs the way I want them without the rods being a restriction. Then add leg rods after all of the alterations are done.

I have mounted A LOT of lifesize bears over the years and they are an enjoyable project. However, I have watched taxidermists get VERY frustrated when they get the form and the skin isn't even close to fitting. The taxidermist hasn't done anything wrong in the skin measuring process, its just that most bear forms on the market are far from ideal. Especially the brown/griz bear forms. There are only a handful that are usable. I could go on a bear form rant but I'm gonna stop myself. Be patient, work hard, and charge accordingly!!! :)

11. backstapwillie

backstapwillie 2011 Montana Bow kill

Very informitive. This is a classic post that will be used for years to come by many Im sure.

12. George, that's alot of great info there , thanks for taking the time to share what took years of trial and error to learn!!!! I thank you buddy....

13. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

Thanks so much George!! Andy & Lisa too!

14. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Good info George,

15. ozbowhunter

ozbowhunter New Member

I have been putting off mounting my first bear for so long. I just don't want to screw it up. George you legend - thanks so much. Your indepth instruction are greatly appreciated.

16. adkgirl

adkgirl Active Member

So, are you going to compete with Ron for tips of the week??? I can see it now...The Tip of the Week Challenge. LOL .....Seriously, really nice post.

17. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

Nice post George! I think you should do this for every species then bump them once a week and alleviate a lot of questions on here.lol

18. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

Just for those with Bear Questions

19. coasthunterjay

coasthunterjay AJ Emerick (aka Jay)

holy crap my head hurts....

20. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

My back hurts.. I am "almost" sick of bears for 2010.. 31 this spring.. a few trickled in this summer, a half dozen this fall and now another one tonight and one comming in Monday.. WTF.. can I just get a field mouse to mount?