1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What handed are you artist?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by Chops, Apr 25, 2009.

1. What just curious to how many of you Artist are Left or Right handed? I'm a lefty so my hand seems to always smudge my work........ I hate that. And Why didn't someone every invent a left handed notebook?

2. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

They did, it's a top spiral ;D I am right handed in most everything I do, including drawing, but I can sew with either and I shoot a rifle or pistol left handed.

3. Wolfwoman that is very common for a woman to be right handed but left eye dominant.
    I am a south paw.

4. greener

greener New Member

I am left handed and I to have problem with smudging but To correct that I just start on the far opposite site of the paper. (right side).

5. Furrtiv

Furrtiv New Member

Right handed, but left eye dominant for me, but then again I'm short sighted in my right eye so it makes sense that I'd use my left eye for aiming at stuff. Was a pain when I did archery, though, as I couldn't consciously control which eye I aimed with, I ended up using a left-handed bow (the grip and sights were different).

6. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

right handed for everything except firing a gun
    my eyesight is terrible and it took a really long time for me to figure out how to paint from still life in college

7. Brian

Brian Active Member

I'm ambidextrous but use my left for drawing

8. left handed, left eyed dominant. My first grade teacher thought I should print like the other kids and it screwed me up for awhile. She couldn't understand why I had to print and draw "upside down" LOL

9. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

right handed

10. I'm normal ;) Right handed.

11. jbnf

jbnf New Member

My son who is 6 is left handed. He does everything left handed. Even kicks with his left foot. It is pretty hard for me to teach him things since I can't do anything with my left.

12. jason

jason Active Member

Chops,

I like to wear a cotton glove (for handling photographs) as this cuts down on
    smudging and smearing as I too am a lefty.
    we all know there are 2 kinds of people in this world.... those who are left handed,
    and those who wish they were. LOL :) left handed people are the ONLY ones that use the right
    side of their brain. corny, I know, just wanted to share them.

I love seeing everyones work on here, I will try to post some stuff again too.
    have a great day all!!!
    Jason

13. Yeah Jason my uncle used to tell me as a kid that us left handers are the only ones in the RIGHT frame of minds... lol

14. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

All left handed.
    I think left handers are more resourceful as well, because we have to adapt and figure out how to function in a right handed world. ie chainsaws, circular saws, scissors, shotguns, pistols, etc etc.

For the drawing smudges, I usually just put a small piece of paper under my hand to protect my drawing.

15. buckmaster14

buckmaster14 Sometimes you get lucky...

Left handed, right footed ( if it matters ::) ), left eye dominant,

16. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    completely left-handed. also put a piece of paper over my work so i won't smudge it. just be careful you don't "push" the paper around with your hand as that can smudge it as well

17. Furrtiv

Furrtiv New Member

Hm, I'm not too sure that pepole don't use the other half of their brains - if you try hard enough, you can teach yourself to use your other hand to some degree, so maybe it's just that righties only use a little of their right brain, and lefties only use a little of their left brain? One side is usually more dominant, but I don't think it means that the other side is redundant.
    Out of interest, I saw a programme on the telly a few years back about a woman who allegedly had virtually no brain, yet led a normal life. When scanned, it appeared that her skull was empty, but upon closer inspection (through more detailed scans), it was discovered that she had a thin layer of brain tissue all around the inside of her skull, far less than what would make up a normal brain. Yet she had no problems, was of at elast average intelligence if not slightly more so, and had never had any serious medical conditions associated with the brain. Weird, eh?

18. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Ambidextrous but I draw & write right handed. When I was in 1st grade I started out as a lefty. An old battleaxe teacher named Mrs. Hamer would snatch the pencil out of my hand, smack my left hand with a ruler and then place the pencil in my right hand. I hated her and even though I graduated college I still always hated school. My Elementary teachers and some report cards made comments about my poor penmanship. I kept practicing and now I print everything extremely legibly like I'm doing a mechanical drawing. It wouldn't be hard for me to learn to write left handed. When I sculpt I use both hands. Sometimes I close my eyes to feel and check symmetry.

19. Hey Rick, I think we went to the same school. that's exactly what happened to me and I do things the same way you do. Isn't that funny