1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antler Mounts - Plaques

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Matt_S, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Matt_S

Matt_S New Member

Whats the right way to mount a set of antlers on a plaque. I have used the cheap kits from the store before and they are pretty much junk, I just figured there is a better way. I got a call the other day from someone that wanted me to put 4 racks on plaques for them.

I have heard people mention bondo or plaster for this. Just wondering if it is pretty much self explainitory with mounting your horns on a scrap board and building your shape with bondo and then cover it, or is there more to it than that.

Thanks for your help.
    Matt

2. basically u got it right. i generally take a "tear drop" piece of 3/8" plywood and screw the horns to it in the desired position. u can build it up with whatever u like and cover it up. i generally use clay to build mine up.

3. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

You can buy foam forms for antler mounts from taxi suppliers as well.

4. Order a antler base from McKenzie or Van Dykes, or what ever supplier you like. Position the horns on the base and then screw them down. Next I use paper mache and cover the skull plate so it is rounded like the base. I then cover with a piece of material. (the more flexible the material the easier it is to work. After covering the base with the material I center the base on a plaque and screw down. Lastly I use a rope like material and go under the antler burs and around the base. Looks real nice and cost the customer approx $75 to $100.

5. Matt_S

Matt_S New Member

Thanks for the help. I finally found some forms online at Allred Supply.

HigherGround answered my next question about price. I told my buddy $25 with him supplying the plaque. I guess that is pretty low. Oh well, these will be my first ones so the price will go up after these.

Thanks Again Everyone.

Matt

6. SevereTaxidermy

SevereTaxidermy New Member

There's a lot of ways of doing antler plaque mounts. What i've found to be the best for me is the following:

Cut skull plate off deer
    Measure from where the underneath of the burr meets the skull outside to outside, across the skull
    Fold a piece of paper in half, measure in half that distance and make a marke, outline the desired tear-drop shape
    Cut out and unfold so you have a nice uniform shape
    Trace shape on partical board or plywood
    Attatch the skull using 3-4 screws, from skull plate down, using drywall screws
    Snap off the remainder sticking out the bottom
    Shape the skull plate cover, as if it were the head shape, using paper mache really trying to make it a smooth transition
    I take the mache right to the edge of the plywood or partical board and make it kinda flow up and round so edges are smooth
    Let dry
    Use some cotton batting to wrap around the skull plate and create a cushion, stapling to the back of the partical or plywood
    Then follow the same pattern with your desired fabric, staple and cut off excess
    Use any lacing or rope-like thing you want to wrap around the base of the burr and apply with hot glue
    Center on plaque for finish, mark a couple of 3-4 holes, drill from the back of plaque to front
    Hot glue to hold the plaque and mount in place while screwing, attatch with drywall screws
    Put a hanger on the back
    DONE

Not too bad. Really only takes maybe 1 1/2 hours or so but I charge 110 for mine. Materials cost are minimal cause you only use a little on each one and can buy them in good chunks at a time
    This also is a sure way of mounting something. WAYYYYY better than any kit or anything else you can find, my opinion

7. SevereTaxidermy

SevereTaxidermy New Member

I meant $110 for a deer
    Prices go up from there

8. cgolden

cgolden New Member

Higherground,
    Where did you get that plaque. That's cool. Also, what kind of material did you use to cover the skull plate. I like that way that looks.

9. The plaque was made at a high school ag barn. I burnt the tips with a wood burner and clear coated it. The material was found at wal-mart. Here are a couple of more that I just finished