1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Thought you guys a little further from the coast might enjoy this......

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Speckled Trout, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

We were wadefishing this past Friday and Saturday. This shark came up and attacked my buddies fish just as he was landing it. It ripped the net from his hand. We eventually got his net back by snagging it and ripping it off the shark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

[​IMG]

3. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

The landing net was stuck around its head and it couldn't get it off.

These are from Friday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

These are Sat.'s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Why keep so many trout...Pointless really.

6. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Because they taste good, the response you gave was.....pointless, well except to identify you as a C&R type.

What happened to the gafftop?

7. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

Are you being serious???? :mad: Have you hugged a tree, lately? ???

Because I'm going to eat them. I eat fish several times a week and so does my family. Plus, I regularly put on fish fries. I donate fish to several organizations every year. Our local Little League uses fish that I catch at a benefit dinner. I also cook fish for my hometown's retirement home. I could go on and on, but your question is very rude and I apologize to everyone for rambling.....

A shark hit it when I was reeling it in.

8. NJTrapper

NJTrapper Member

That is a nice mess of fish. I give you a lot of credit. I don't go were they keep the sharks. Walking around in that murky water with a stringer of fish, is like bear hunting with a porkchop around your neck. LOL. Looks like you had a good time. Congrats.

9. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

We don't use stringers while wading this particular area. We only put the fish on the stringer for the pic.

The fish are carried in a cooler that is floating on an enclosed section of PVC pipe. This way there isn't any scent in the water.

10. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Nice specs. Cool pics.

Sharks don't want to eat you, but they might "taste" your leg if they think it's a fish.
    We don't use stringers either, I'm not taking that chance. Where we fish, the dolpins would come eat them off the stringer anyway.

11. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

I've had sharks attack stringers dozens of times, over the years. I've never seen one chose to bother the fisherman when they had fish to eat. ;D I've never felt scared. Mad that they were stealing my fish that I worked hard to catch, but not scared. One of the most efficient predators in the world certainly doesn't need to steal mine. :)

12. Becky P

Most shark "attacks" are mistaken identity, that was the reason for my comment. But I know my luck, if I had a stringer, the dang fish would probably swim up to my leg trying to get away from the shark and I'd get bit, LOL.

T250, as long as he's within his limits and the fish are not wasted, I don't see a problem. I'm not sure about his Little League team making money off of it though, not sure about the legalities of that, but as long as it's legal, I don't see anything wrong with it. If there were a shortage of Specs they'd lower the limit. Personally, I think they need to increase the shark limit here and decrease the size restriction.

13. Becky P

Gotcha ;) I wouldn't give them the trout anyway, LOL, they taste way better than drum.

I love to catch kingfish but I don't much care for eating them so we usually only keep the ones that won't revive or are bleeding badly. But trout, if they're legal, they get ate, LOL.

14. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

Hey, Josh. It's a good thing that we weren't able to catch that shark, I definitely would've had to mold him! ;D I don't have any idea how much bondo/resin that would've taken, either. ???

15. cedarhill

cedarhill Member

cool pics looks like the sail cat has seen better days lol

16. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

It was still gilling when I got it in, too. Blood was dripping from it. I chunked it as far away as I could. It wasn't long before we saw a shark smack it as it floated away.

17. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

Nice pics speckled trout. Glad to see your making use of the resource and keeping those fish....thats what it's there for.
    If people keep throwing back all the big fish they catch ,( most people aren't, thank God) I would be out of a job.

18. My biggest worry diving with a sling in Hawaii was to get hit by a tiger with a string of fish on my side...It is an ire feeling when you are fining in on the surface and you know that their is blood trailing behind you and you look kinda like a giant hula Popper or jerk bait...You my friend have more sack than I ...nice fish and well earned

19. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

I dive, as well. Seems the sharks normally want to stay away, though. The barracudas won't even let me get close enough to take good pics. They just swim away when you try to approach them.

20. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

Hey speckled trout, can I come and kill a bunch of those fish with ya. ;D Looks like a lot of fun and good eatin'.