1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deodorizing skunk pelt for mounting

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Antlersrjs, May 4, 2009.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

When mixed with water, peroxide really becomes an inert mixture (chemistry 101 - H2O and H2O2 tend to blend and cast off the extra oxygen). Stop Rot works quite well but I sill washed the hide in warm water with Downey. Even then it took several washings.

John C likes this.
  2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

However you treat it, do so before you stick the thing in the freezer. The odor will seep into everything else in the freezer...I know of what I speak (unfortunately!!!) LOL!!!

3. Ok the tail will have to be split. Much of the smell will be in the fats in the tail and anal area. YOU will have to degrease fat it a bird wheel will work for this.

The peroxide, dawn and baking soda works to some extent. I would also get a quart bottle of McKenzie degreaser relaxer. it will take the smell out!!

Two components to the oil is the organic compounds that make skunk spray smell are also found in garlic and onions. They're called thiols, and they're very simple. Just hook one sulfur atom to one hydrogen atom.

The two leg-breakers in the family of chemicals that a skunk sprays are (E )-2-butene-1-thiol and 3-methyl-1-butanethiol. These are chains of carbon and hydrogen with the sulfur and hydrogen thiol group attached to one end. They're volatile, which means they disperse easily in the air, and they're easily picked up by the human nose. The back-up squad of skunk spray consists of thioacetates, other groupings of carbon and hydrogen that are, at first, not particularly smelly. When water hits them, it rearranges them into more potent configurations. A dog - or human - that's been sprayed by a skunk will sometimes get smellier after being bathed in water. These compounds also linger, so when an area of a house that's been sprayed by a skunk gets rained on, we get a delayed reminder never to make a skunk mad.

How to get the stench out? Tomato juice won't do it. It's just a strong smell that attempts to cover up the smell of skunk.

What you need is a chemical that will change the composition of the thiol group.

Fortunately, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide are cheap, mild, and will do the job. They are oxidizing agents, meaning they will attach oxygen atoms to the sulfur atom in the thiol pairing, and take away its ability to stink.

Use 3% from the drug dept, yea the cheap stuff, make a paste and then use a good shampoo, or the McKenzie Degreaser relaxer. work into the fur let it set a few minutes, this time will depend on the stink strength.

Then rinse will flesh the skin well, but not to the hair roots. Then wash again with the same stuff.

George likes this.
  4. read my post about the contents. but 1/3 peroxide, 1/3 baking soda, 1/3 shampoo, not water, as Mentioned the peroxide is nothing when mixed with water.

George likes this.