1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

For once I stood my ground

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Superpig, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Super Piggy;
    Great that you're nos saying no to the Hagglers! Now you can get the Big Scorpion Award!

Coyote

2. Anybody got an idea for a sign in my shop that isn't too smartazz but gets the message thru that there will be no discounts to anyone? I want it to be catchy but firm. Thanks.
    [/quote]

I have thought about that very same thing for the past few days. Can't come up with anything either that wouldn't offend the customer but gets the message across. Anybody out there with a good idea? :)

3. Kim Owens

Kim Owens Are we there yet?

Ok, here's a quote for you- it's old as heck but it does get the message across-

"The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten" ;D

Danny had a guy call once on wanting a discount. He said "what do you think you want to pay?" the guy says $125 (on a pheasant) and Danny says "sure, no problem. For your $125 I won't wash it, I won't degrease it, I won't split out the wattle, I won't put it on driftwood but I will cut up a coathanger and put it in the back so you can hang it on your wall. It ought to last you about 6 months or so before your wife makes you throw it away." Of course, that's not the kind of mount he wanted. He paid the $300 and now is a great customer, never asks price.

4. Here are a couple of brainstorm ideas Evelyn. Maybe you can get develop something from these quotes:

To Give Real Service, You Must Add Something That Cannot Be Bought Or Measured With Money, And That Is Sincerity and Integrity.

Always Give People More Than They Expect.

You Can't Be Number One By Doing What Everybody Else Is Doing.

There Is No Traffic Jam On The Extra Mile.

Service Has To Be A Forethought, Not An Afterthought.

If It Isn't Obvious to the Customers, Then It Is Irrelevant.

When Dealing With the Customer, You Are Only As Good as Your Last Encounter.

Service is Not about Making Promises Or Grand statements. It Is All About Keeping The Promise.

5. I used to keep the business cards of other shops on the wall right next to the door...if someone wanted a deal, I would tell them that their were a couple of other guys close buy who could probably give them the deal they wanted and that they could find their phone numbers on the door on the way out.

6. mrdux

mrdux Member

Kim, I got that saying years ago while in Marcus Zimmerman's studio in PA. I use it on my cards and have it posted above my shop door. It seems to have an impression on some, others could care less. It's the couldn't care less group that I'm trying to reach.

Ive been leaning toward

"Monty Hall doesn't work here. Let's Make a Deal is down the road!"

My wife doesn't like it but what does she know?

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

MrDux, I'm afraid it goes back a bit farther than that. It's credited with having been put in Poor Richard's Almanac by Ben Franklin. It's #37 on his Mage list

One I had for years was borrowed from an old taxidermist long gone. It says, " I can't aplogize for charging more than others for my work. They're a better judge of how much their work is worth."

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

The next time someone wants a discount or a break on something, ask them to call your morgage company, phone company, electric company, gas company, and everyone else and ask them to give you a break on your bills. They won't ask for a disount anymore.

9. sawtooth taxi

sawtooth taxi New Member

Gunny, The steelie came from the Clearwater River in Idaho. That was one of the smallest landed. She was 40 inches. The bucks we were landing were mid 40's.

10. We don't need to deal with those type people. Most of the time you can't satisfy them anyway.

11. I have a sign in my shop that saids. "There will be no haggling on prices What so ever". Like I said in another post. My prices are set in cement. So if a customer wants it done cheaper. Then I just tell them to go to the other taxidermist. Case closed!!

Coyote

12. jennifer

jennifer New Member

I always have friends ask me if I will work out a trade. My reply is usually, "Sure, I'll trade you $425 US dollars for a shoulder mount whitetail". I had a customer ask if I would trade some giant pistons (from an elevator I think) for a european mount. What in sam hell am I going to do with pistons? I dont have an elevator! I asked him if the cashier at the grocery store would take those pistons instead of money when I went to buy groceries. I got my $$$.

13. Muthagoose

Muthagoose You do your thing, I'll do mine.....

Been there Wont go there again.
    I still listen to the smucks when I need a laugh then tell them sure I can do it cheaper, I wont inject the feet,use cheap eyes and you can put a hanger on it when ya get home. Makes ya wonder if they go to dentist and say hey no novacain and lets use lead instead of silver.
    What realy burns a walkin discount seeker is when ya tell we are not accepting new clients at this time...

14. Western Rivers

Western Rivers Wolves are Idaho's #1 Poacher!

Funny how people suddenly want to be your best friend when they walk into your shop.

15. Bruce Foster

Bruce Foster Guest

Jennifer........." What in sam hell am I going to do with pistons? I dont have an elevator!"...I have an elevator and it needs some pistons!.......do you deliver? you got good Karma +