1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need advise and critque

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by OutdoorCreations, May 7, 2009.

1. I am new to this ball game and this is my first of many. First lifesize, first fox, first habitat, etc..... I put this together today and I think that there is just too much going on with the habitat. I was thinking of having the fox pouncing through the tall grasses but i dont know. If you guys can give me your opinions and adive that would be greatly appreacated. I am ready for whatever you throw at me. and also I was wondering what would make for a good ground cover? these pieces arent there permanatly so I can change things around. Thanks

2. Here is the top view

3. jbnf

jbnf New Member

I think the habitat looks pretty good. Seems pretty simple but gets the point across. When you get it finished post some pics.

Its hard to tell much about the mounts from the pics. Get some closer shots so a better critique can be given by the experts on here.

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

I like it. The colors compliment the entire piece. I would not add any more tall habitat items though. Keep your ground cover muted & it wont draw attention away from the Fox. In fact I really like it for whatever thats worth.

5. Thanks for your thoughts I will post pics when finsihed

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I make "dirt" by pouring foam and while it's still very sticky (even wet and a bit runny) I add either sand for a light looking "ground" as I'd use with these weeds you have or sprinkle mulched peat moss for a darker, "forest floor" type dirt. I think you idea and lay out are good because they are simple and uncluttered.

The fox has some issues. It looks as if the tip of its tail is twisted on the wire. Grooming is an issue, but most of all, it looks as if the form has been altered in the head and neck area. If not, it should be. Foxes look across their noses. If this one was, he'd be looking t his own back feet almost instead of that quail underneath. The pose is made for "mousing" rather than catching ground nesting birds. This fox would have been charging in with it's mouth opened most likely. Still, the radical head bend throws your piece off.

7. bill@hogheaven

I actually watched a fox catch a low flying bird last week. It was just like george described. That fox by the way had a rear leg broken above the hock. Never noticed it til he walked away carrying lunch into some thick brush.

8. I think it is great for your fist try. Maybe move the bird around until you get it in the foxes gaze. You can see from the top view it is a little off. Also bend the fox back on the rods in it's back feet this will make him look up a little more. Great work though.

9. ed150

ed150 deer city time

not bad at all mike

10. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

[​IMG]

I like to shorten the grass and stuff in front, yet kee it taller in back, so you can see the fox more.. add a bit short grass to the front sections, dirt as mentioned, some kind of litter on the dirt such as grass pieces maybe some leaves or whatever..simple and not too distracting so that the eye still goes first to the mounts..
    Also as pointed out the fox isnt looking at the prey...

11. bill@hogheaven

As far as looking at the prey, there are 2 birds in the scene. I believe he is looking at the bird that is somewhat hidden because of the angle of the picture.

12. Here is my finished project. Thanks for everybody's input. I know it still needs some things fixed but overall I am happy with it especially since this is my 5 mount total and first lifesize. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

• fox.JPG
      fox.JPG
      File size:
      92.6 KB
      Views:
    • fox1.JPG
      fox1.JPG
      File size:
      69.8 KB
      Views:
  13. armymac26

armymac26 God made me really strong!! Not really smart!!!

looks great I really like it. Very clean

14. aztaxidermy

aztaxidermy double lungsville bang'em n hang'em

CT
    great job looks great

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

As long as YOU are happy with it, that's all that counts. Make sure you save it or a picture of it. In 10 years, if you're still at it, please come back here and tell the folks who'll still be here how you feel about it then. We've all been there ourselves and we already know the answers. LOL

16. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

You bet!

17. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Amen to that! We've all got early mounts that were our "learning tools".

John.

18. Thank you everybody for your coments. you bet that i have taken many pictures from all angles and i learned a lot from doing this mount. There is no better tool to learn from than doing it by yourself and learning from you mistakes. I hope that in 10 years i can look back and think that "I can't belive that i was satisfied with that mount" but for now i am very happy with it.