1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Im going to give this a try...

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Prodigal_Son, May 8, 2009.

1. I have a European Black Boar piglet (Russian Boar). I want to used the hide for a life size and the skull for a skull display. I am very new to taxidermy.

I was planning on tanning the hide myself, but it is a hard item to replace. I have limited tanning experience so I should send it out right? I know that is the standard answer given.

What would you advise to use for a manikin? I was thinking along the same lines as a bird with the burlap style cloth rapped around a wire frame.

I think I have the skull process down thanks to great tutorial by folk like Seawolf so I don't for see that being an issue (yet).

Any advise, especially on trouble areas I should know about will be greatly appreciated.

How would you recommend skinning (what cut method)? Ventral, Dorsal ?

R/

JW

2. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

Carcass cast the body, you will find a lot of info on this. Ventral skin it. When you mount it they have a LOT of loose skin esp. in the throat brisket area. I really think you should name it " Shorty " in memory of my boar & make a pet of him.

3. Bill, thanks for the info. I named him Nacho but he died. He was to be a mascot/pet for our hunting club. I saw a tutorial on the casting, I just need to read up. Thanks

JW

4. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

Nacho....R.I.P.

If you have a specific ?? on casting & molding this PM me & I will try to help.

5. Thank you...I will more than likely take you up on it after I read a little more about it and get the matterials gathered.

JW

6. if you are going to macerate that skull be carefull I have done several juvenile or young animals that fell apart into tiny pieces when macerated. The sutures that connect all the bones in the skull are not grown together yet and can make the skull very loose. As soon as most of the meat comes off pull the skull and scrape off the rest it might save you from putting together a jig saw puzzle. good luck Brad

7. Ulster,

Thank you for the great info...I will defiantly keep that in mind.

R/

JW