1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

strangest or rarest thing in your skull collection

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by longnthetooth47, May 8, 2009.

1. Dang it Lizard guts, I went and got a glass of milk before I hit the post button,

& you beat me!

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Also at first glance appears to be a hyena. No time to check fully though.

3. Oh ,trouble! I watched this lot on ebay. You've got yourself a serious score, and thank you so much for sharing! I get most of my specimens from ebay. I'm positive three of those skulls in the box were hyenas. It looks like the jaws for all the skulls were in the box,too. I'm not sure as to what species of this skull is, but if I had to take a guess, I'd say Striped Hyena? It was a nice lot! Maybe two Spotted hyenas and one Striped? I did a small amount of research, so I'm definitely guessing here. I bet Great Skulls would know!

That last molar on the top jaw is rotated inward at a 90 degree angle. Mustelids have molars like that too. I thought that was a neat observation. :D
    [​IMG]

4. I wanted that skull lot so bad. I bid on it several time but after it got to over 300 I was out.

5. And yes I believe it is that lot because a guy named trouble667 left feedback for it. Just checked it out on My ebay.

6. That is one awesome skull. :) Is it a hyena?

7. Kendall

Kendall Active Member

I would say striped hyena (genus Hyaena) Dental formula= 3/3 1/1 4/3 1/1. Spotted hyena (genus Crocuta) lack the small upper molar. Dental formula= 3/3 1/1 4/3 0/1.
    Kendall

8. Hahaha See! I knew you guys would not only know what it was, but I figured a few of you would even recognize the auction they came from! :)
    Yeah, I took a gamble... once it got up around $300 I started sweating, but there was a method to my madness. The lot was from around 1900 and from a doctor that was in Africa who sent back some specimens for a collection. Like you guys, I immediately realized that three of them were hyenas and that it looked like the jaws for all three were there as well. Which got me thinking... why would he send back all the other varied stuff, but have 3 hyena skulls! So I figured (well, more like hoped) that they weren't all the common spotted hyenas (crocuta crocuta) which are the only ones you ever see for sale. Well, my gamble payed off! Once I got them and could examine them up close, I did my research and I'm relatively sure that the one I posted pictures of is actually a brown hyena (Hyaena brunnea), which is pretty rare and on conservation status, so not something I'd ever find or buy otherwise. But since it's clearly an old skull and was brought into the country WELL before any of that, I should be good. There's enough documentation with it to establish provenance, so I'm not worried and now have a really neat piece for the collection! It even was in the best shape of the three! I'll probably list the other two on ebay auctions to try and recoup what I spent on the bloody thing! ;)
    The other stuff in the list was pretty interesting too!

9. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

That's weird, I watch eBay like a mother hen and didn't see an auction like that - awesome find for you though!

10. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    I'll be ordering one of these in the near future ...
    [​IMG]
    'Crystal' Cat Skull from Lake Forest Anatomicals. With cast teeth installed, this is a fine way to study feline dentition, plus it makes a great conversation piece!
    http://www.lakeforestanatomicals.com/cart/feline-skull-with-teeth-visi-model-transparent.html

11. horsefeathers

horsefeathers Member

That is a fascinating model! I see they also do dogs in the same way...

12. venomik88

venomik88 New Member

Very nice John:).

13. AH7

AH7 New Member

Definitely a brown or striped hyena (the spotteds don't have the upper molar). I agree that it looks more like a brown - VERY robust.

Way cool specimen. Post pics of the other ones in that lot.

14. AH7

AH7 New Member

P.S. I missed that lot too! Bastard!

15. Hahaha Don't blame ME for being attentive! Besides, there were clearly plenty of others it didn't slip by or I wouldn't have payed so much for the bloody thing. :)
    Anywas, here's a few pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, there's some cool stuff in there. Most of it is unlabelled, but pretty obvious. Biggest Ostrich jaw I've ever seen! The other avian jaw is tagged as a Red Foot Hawk, but the species name ion the tag s indecipherable. However, I'm pretty sure it's a Red-footed Falcon... man, I wish that whole skull had been with it! There's a chunk of lion face with the incisors and one canine... sadly sheared through the root about 3/4-1 into the skull. There's also a couple rodents (they all look the same to me!) only one of which is labelled (as a hamster! haha) one which has no teeth, and the other is very partial. There's also a cat jaw and a section of maxilla with two teeth. The tag says wildcat, but lists felis catus as the species. I assume it's Felis silvestris, but it's not complete enough for me to worry about either way. There's also a baboon mandible. Then there's some interesting mystery bones. and the horns of course are in a sad state! The other two hyenas are overall not bad. One has more teeth, but that one seems to have died by bullet. There's damage to the mandible between the masseteric fossa and the angular process. it's also missing a good portion of the condyllus occipitalis. And some damage to the auditory bulla on one side. All that damage appears to be original though so I figure it's consistent enough with lead trauma. :) Already sold one of them. Like I said, my primary hope was to get something relatively unique.

16. Last week,i got a nice mature male Llama skull as well as a Royal Tibetan Yak.This week two cool skulls i got(I think theyre cool anyway)are a Pygmy Rabbit and a Kangaroo Rat.Both are interesting little skulls.

17. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

about the hyena's: was it on ebay.com?
    i've seen more crazy stuff on ebay.uk than anywhere else. only a few months ago, a perfect real orang-otang skull with cites papers.
    I was outbid by... 20 british pounds..
    when I saw that, I got my wallet and coat and went to the pub... came back day after

18. Yeah, it was a box of stuff from an estate sale someone had on ebay. Man, I would love to get an Orangutan skull... How much did it go for?!
    And those crystal skulls are brilliant!

19. bmilla35

bmilla35 New Member

Still looking for help? I'll be attending Penn State this year!

20. Lupen

Lupen New Member

I haven't been collecting skulls for too long, so I don't have anything that rare, but I do find my 20" alligator skull and aardwolf skull pretty neat, as well as my pitbull skull I got from Shelby/PLT that still has a bullet lodged it in. Like I said, not that rare but still pretty cool in my opinion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But if prehistoric things count I do have an oreodont skull (Merycoidodon sp., I believe) which is definetly the rarest thing I currently own. It's around 30 million years old. Don't have any photos yet but I can get some on Mon. or Tues.