1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

strangest or rarest thing in your skull collection

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by longnthetooth47, May 8, 2009.

1. I've got a few more things from collection to share....first is a very common animal (a raccoon) but it was huge old male with extremely wide zygomatic arches - 2nd pic is of the coon skull with a large American badger:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and on the right with a cast of a honey badger:
    [​IMG]

Doberman pinscher (rt) compared with a large eastern coyote:
    [​IMG]

large wolf with a saint bernhard (bottom skull):
    [​IMG]

wolf (bottom skull) with a German Shepherd:

[​IMG]

medium-sized spotted hyena (bottom) with a Bernese mountain dog:

[​IMG]

I have a huge collection of various breeds of domestic dog and these are some of the most spectacular of those.

2. Nice! I'm often amazed that science will call two birds that look absolutely identical to the naked eye separate speices based on some tiny, inconspicuous morphological detail. Yet with the ridiculous variation there is in the various dogs, they are all the same species, merely different breeds. It boggles the mind.

3. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

I'd love to see more dog skulls Schrecken, I collect them as well. :) No giant breed dogs yet, but still looking

Here is....a coyote with something a bit odd going on with its snout. Had to have developed during its life, because I did not damage the skull and I really doubt Bob Wendt did either.

[​IMG]

And here's a chunk of skulls from my collection that still need work. Those aren't the only ones either. Ugghh it's going to take forever to get everything in shape, pretty much every single skull I've bought from someone else has needed additional degreasing. Even if they've said they already degreased it. It's why I prefer to buy raw when I can.

[​IMG]

4. Love the Camel skull.Thats a skull i really want to add to my collection in the near future.

5. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

I just got this one from Worldwildlifeproducts on eBay, they're a big legitimate importer. Pretty sure they have a few up for sale right now - the only issue is I'm almost positive they're boiled. It took some picking over to find one that still had some of its nasals intact, and it needs degreasing. But $124 + shipping is a pretty good price for someone who doesn't have a lot to spend on top quality

Boneroom has some available too I think, they range from $300-$400. Not sure how they are prepared

6. Yeah, I was eye-balling their camel skulls too! He's based out of Florida, so even though I've heard people complain about his shipping costs, they're very reasonable for me. ;)

7. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

to show you guys and gals I wasn't making stuff up about the orang-otang

look what just popped up:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taxidermy-great-Ape-Bornean-Orangutan-Primates-skull-jaw-bone-Gothic-art-crafts-/140831592423?pt=UK_Collectables_AnimalCollectables_SM&hash=item20ca378fe7

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Stuff like this shows up all the time. You have to remember that what is legal in the UK and other countries will NOT be legal in the USA. I liked this one as well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160850024457&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

10. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    FYI on spelling ... Orangutan. ;) ;D

11. Sea Wolf

Schrecken, are you going to make a cast of that honey badger you snagged off of eBay? :)

12. He already has :
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reproduction-honey-badger-ratel-skull-taxidermy-cast-/251129752263?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a787feac7

:)

13. Thats not one of his cast Trouble, read right below the pictures on the listing.

14. Ahh, shows how much I pay attention! I'm not big on casts, just remembered seeing the listing and the username. haha

15. Sea Wolf

Schrecken, I believe, is also of the female persuasion. :)

16. ??? Hahaha Geez... another swing and a miss!

17. Yes I'm female and nope, that cast isn't one I made - bought it a few years ago on Ebay and obviously have no need for a cast now. 8) I will probably make a cast of my honey badger skull at some point, perhaps once I finish molding and repairing a 28" African lion skull that I am repairing for a customer (don't worry - he knows the skull is being molded - I get to mold the skulls in exchange for repairing and restoring them).

18. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Sweet! ;)

19. Hey, Trouble did you get all of your money back after selling the other hyena skull?

20. Sea Wolf

A great deal for you too. How long is that lion? And will you be selling copies?