1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

strangest or rarest thing in your skull collection

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by longnthetooth47, May 8, 2009.

1. Don't worry, I won't hold it against you. ;)

2. Indeed I did... well, maybe not after Ebay and Paypal take their pound of flesh, but close enough considering my goal was getting a brown hyena skull for practically nothing. :D

3. Sea Wolf, not totally sure of the length as it's still has yet to be de-molded, but I think it's around 16.5" long. I will be selling copies of it in my Ebay store in maybe a couple of weeks from now.

4. Vkvz

Vkvz New Member

By the way, weren't you working on a large sea lion skull cast at some point?

5. aboutpostal

aboutpostal Member

cool stuff

6. xxohmycaptainxx

xxohmycaptainxx Member

I know this topic is really really old but its already a larger topic and I thought it'd be better to revive a dead one, rather than start a new one. Anyway its hard to decide which of my skulls is the rarest or more unique. If I had to choose I'd probably pick my Gray Crowned Crane Skull that I purchased from our very own Michael Vaden.

[​IMG]

7. akvz

akvz New Member

I really love the bumps on that crane skull! I don't really care much for most bird skulls that aren't hornbills or shoebills or spoonbills or other oddly billed/crested birds, but I think I might make an exception for that one... it's certainly unique. Do the feather tracts of the crest root there? Or do you know.

I was actually planning on reviving this thread when I finished restoring a skull I received earlier this week...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's no liger or thylacine, and by many respects it's probably not a particularly rare skull, but considering people pay thousands ($3500 is just the trophy fee) to hunt this animal and usually get it shoulder mounted, destroying the skull in the process... it's rare enough for me. Plus, it's been classed as extinct in the wild for almost 20 years! As stated, I have some repair work and cleaning to do, but I'm quite stoked about it.

I'm hoping I can get a replacement lower jaw (raw or cleaned) for it, as it's often thrown out with the rest of the skull after the skull plate is removed. I'm also hoping I can find a decent way to hang it-- 37.25" across the unbroken horn, plus the skull, plus a bedroom wall that slopes downward... finding a stud in a place that will allow the skull to be hung without bumping the ceiling, hitting the shelf, or being low enough for kittens to jump onto is already a challenge, and it hasn't been repaired yet!

The most unique skull I have is probably a bit mundane compared to some; but I have a javelina skull cooking that has a split in the tooth from life, with slight damage to the tooth's socket... when I pulled it out, prickly pear cactus spines pricked me through the glove because they were buried into the tooth. There was also corn and dirt wedged in... never thought I'd be flossing a dead animal's teeth to clean them.

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Thought I'd post a larger picture of your crane. :) No problems with the old thread. At first I thought that some people that haven't been on here in years had returned. Looks like I have picture URLs to repair too.

Akvz .. is that an Arabian or a Scimitar?

9. akvz

akvz New Member

It's a scimitar; an Arabian would be great but they are probably even harder to come across than a scimitar! It would probably also fit on my wall better.

10. xxohmycaptainxx

xxohmycaptainxx Member

Despite the damage and it not having been cleaned its still an amazing find! I'd kill for a larger antelope species. I'm just super anal about lower jaws. Like the only reason I don't have a whole herd in my room is because they're never sold with their lower jaws. And I'm not sure if that's where the root is. I can't see why it shouldn't be though. Been trying to find out the purpose of those two little bumps. Its certainly a very interesting and unique skull, and for $68 it was definitely worth it!

11. akvz

akvz New Member

Yeah, anything I purchase has to be 90-100% complete, including lower jaws, for me to really consider purchasing it. Even a hyena or something more sought after means nothing to me without most teeth and a lower jaw. The only exception would be extinct species for the inability for there to be a lot of other chances at one. This was a gift, though. :) I offered to clean it up for the taxidermist I work under, but he said I should just take it and clean it up for myself... it was found dead at an exotic game ranch a friend of his owns, and he got it to clean up for a euro, but it's been sitting on the shop floor for a couple of months and finally found a home a couple days ago. It's been in a tub, rehydrating all the dried tissues on the skull and (hopefully especially) under the dried on horn.

12. xxohmycaptainxx

xxohmycaptainxx Member

That's awesome that you didn't have to pay for it, that's always a great treat! And I hear that. My Crowned Crane actually came with its sclerotic rings, I just chose not to glue them on as it looks too alive with them and it freaks me out a bit. I prefer most bird skulls without their rings, some look good with them though but only a few.

13. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

Here are a couple things to add to the odd side.

This deer has a asymmetrical rack:
    [​IMG]
    and what looks like a very old broken jaw which healed nicely. Note that the back molar is twisted 90 degrees and is tipped on its side and has been worn flat
    [​IMG]

I put this one in a post not to long ago but I think it may qualify:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a couple rare (in the US) turtle shells:
    Pig Nosed Turtle:
    [​IMG]
    Spiny Hill Turtle:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The turtle shells have been in my collection for the better part of 20 years when they were freely coming into the US through the pet trade.

14. AH7

AH7 New Member

SO happy that you resurrected this thread! We should resurrect the thread about the skulls that we most would like.

I'll post something on here once my lab manager finishes cleaning it. We've got the skull of a nearly extinct species with osteomyelitis. Can't wait to see how that one looks after it comes out of maceration.

15. akvz

akvz New Member

I wonder if that deer had major trauma to the left side of the body, such as being hit by a car or falling from a steep slope? Damage to the body can affect antler growth on the opposite side, but I've never seen them grow in crooked! What an interesting deer... good thing you got his lower jaw, as well. :)

The cougar is also very interesting, I think it's kind of cute... our neighbour had a cat who fell out of a tree and broke his face, and when it healed he had a snaggletooth like that, and his face shape looked more like a pug. Of course that looks to be more likely from a congenital deformity or maybe some form of malnourishment/stunted growth, but I still can't help but think of that cat's face looking like the neighbour's.

I'm excited too... pathological specimens are the best, especially with prominent bone diseases beyond the typical periodontal disease in domestic dogs/cats.

16. My 150 sci Yukon Dall is my rarest... especially for Florida... ... got it "raw" and degreased and whitened myself... what Id love to have?... a very large argali sheep skull (generally speaking) or specifically... a large Marco Polo Sheep skull... an Authentic "legal" "old aged" White Rhino skull would be outrageous as well...

Attached Files:

• 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      54.6 KB
      Views:
  17. xxohmycaptainxx

xxohmycaptainxx Member

That Dall is gorgeous. The horns are so amazing. You cleaned it really well. Usually I dislike most goats and their relatives as their horns tend to flake like a birds beak sheath but this one is really a masterpiece. I don't have them yet but I have an African Openbill, a Vervet Monkey, and an African Jacana skull all coming in. Really excited for those. Its not really rare but i'm also excited for another skull I'm making installment payments on, a large 8" Olive or Common Baboon. Perfect in every way except one little chip on an incisor. Super excited for that. I still think my Crane is my rarest skull but I thought I'd share as I'm still in shock that the seller accepted my installment offer.

18. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

That deer is really odd it really had a lot of things going on. One thing I forgot to mention is the hole it's got in the top of its head that looks like it's healing or an old injury. Unfortunately someone took it upon themselves to improve the skull by painting it white. I got most of the paint off. But some small traces of it is still there.
    [​IMG]

It looks like the pedicle is twisted 30 degrees inwards.
    [​IMG]

I am amazed at what happened to this animal and it survived.

19. Right now this is, hands down, the rarest thing I own. I've had it for a while, but I've just now finished cleaning it and restoring the teeth that were damaged. It is a female ti-liger, which is a third generation hybrid between a female liger and a male tiger (only male ligers are sterile). The skull scores 21 7/8, so it isn't huge, but the bone is very heavy and the live animal was said to have weighed close to 600 pounds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is what they look like (this isn't the animal this skull came from):
    http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs034/1103889869288/img/152.jpg

20. akvz

akvz New Member

Wow! It looks almost just like a tiger skull... if I had come across it otherwise I think I may have thought it to just be a tiger skull with a lot of character. How do you happen across a specimen like that?!