1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Info on hog please...

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Prodigal_Son, May 9, 2009.

1. I am new at this and still looking for a few answers before I start... I have about a week old (no more than 14 days) European Black boar skull that I will be using in maceration process soon. I was informed by a member of the sight to be careful as the little dudes head has not set yet and could literally fall apart and become a puzzle. Anyone else have good to know info like this?

JW

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I have a couple of natal skulls. To be honest, I did not macerate those but simmered VERY CAREFULLY in a pan with a small amount of washing soda added. The bone is very fragile and porous. You might not want to macerate it but simmer it instead. And I macerate just about everything now. :)

3. I wouldn't reccommend maceration for a young skull at all. They almost always disintegrate. carefully obseration and pulling them from the beetle tank seems to work best for the guy that cleans them for me. But they almost always need put back together. If you can maintain the cartilage holding the plates together that would be best... Maceration will certainly either disolve these or cause them to separate from the bone.

Good luck... Every so often one doesn't make it thru the process.

4. Thanks for the info guys...

JW