1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

old cedar fence post

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by srholmes30, May 9, 2009.

1. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Hi I have a cedar fence post real old,on the outside.But cut off the bottom solid inside.Whould I have to do anything about bugs?.I have not seen any,would I have to use a sealer on the post.?Any help would be great thanks for your time.
    Scott.

2. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

I believe cedar is naturally bug proof.

3. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

It doesnt need anything done to it.

4. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Hi thanks for your time guys,take care Brian,Bill.
    Scott.

5. Critter

Critter New Member

as said Cedar is bug proof. If you want to be sure just for peace of mind, just sprinkle some 7 dust on it, and brush it in, let sit for awhile and blow off clean with compressed air.

6. tlbullfrog

tlbullfrog New Member

Cedar is "bug proof"? I wish!

I built a nice base from cut cedar/juniper fence posts that were about 2" in diameter. I set the base aside for awhile and returned to find little mounds of fine wood dust. Called my Dad, who used to be in the pest control business, and he said it is likely "powder post beetles". He said options would be to build a small tent around the base and fumigate it, or treat each entry into the wood with a bulb duster and some Sevin Dust.

REALLY aggravating, since I've got most of the base and lexan work done, complete with mud base and cattails. Aaaaarrrrggghhhhh!!!!!!

(By the way... powder post beetles can ruin your house like termites. Keep an eye out for these little mounds of wood dust around your house / in the attic.)

7. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr New Member

Not 100% bugproof. As it breaks down certain bugs will move it. Some just to live others to bore and not eat it. I soak mine with pickling crystals then powerwash to bring back the golden ceder look.