1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

flashing machine hieght

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by utsiishi, May 13, 2009.

1. what sort hieght does one have thier fleshing maching at in relation to thier body?

2. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Where it feels comfortable to you and your back and arms are not straining...Mainly your back, you dont want to be hunched over the thing like a troll, but not having to stand on tippy toe either. I sit at mine with a tall bar stool...

3. mm, ok. thanks mate..

4. i see alot of tables made from wood...i amagine this is so they dont rust..i was thinking of doing the same but putting a stainless cover on the top...what do ya's think? ;D

5. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

I've never tried sitting while fleshing. I'm gonna give it a try! Maybe get rid of some back pain.

6. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

Re: fleshing machine heighth

This is the table we're working on for my new fleshing machine. Taking a bit of time but with Spring finally here I've got so much outside work this table is the least of my troubles!

I think the height on this might be just perfect for pulling up a bar stool up to it? Problem with that, is that I'm fresh out of barstools, I will be keeping an eye out for one. I'm 6' and the table is a 36", the machine is another 16".. so my guess is that the extra heighth of some casters might make it just right for standing up to allthough I can imagine that just to work on perfect shaving one might certainly appreciate a seat! I've never fleshed using one of the machines so I really can't say.

Our table is reconverted from an old dining table that had about 4 leaf's. We used a piece of powdercoated steel from an office desk back for some material to cover the wood it also stops the problem of the table coming apart in the middle. I didn't want a wood top.. just the thoughts of all that bacterial being absorbed by the wood gives me the creeps. Wooden cutting boards are good places for harmful bacteria to thrive. Of course any rust surely will mess up a nice white skin also. Seems all one needs is a speck of it to make a very noticable stain on a hide or skin.
    My humble table complete with sentimental value. Oh, to think of the wonderful holiday meals shared over it. The huge pedestal with the six curving legs was modified several years ago. Out with the old in with the new. Now I can imagine how much easier tanning hides will be with shaven skins!
    [​IMG]
    The folding leaf shown is just being used as a weight for the glue we used. I can still lift the leaf on the back for more tabletop space if needed and deal with the bacterial issues later!

7. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

While standing at the table, with a straight back, your arms bent at a 90 degree, your elbows and forearm should be resting on the table. Also, if you put a 4 inch block of wood for one foot to step on and alternate feet while working, you will be amazed at how long you can work at the fleshing machine. It's all ergonomics. Try it, and Good shaving! Mark S.

8. thanks for the reply's people..

9. zubba

zubba Active Member

It depends how tall you are, but I like mine so I can kinda lean into it....basically putting my chest agaist the back of the blade guard. Being able to lean against it seems to help.

Probably the most important thing i found is having a shelf about 12-14 inches off the ground. Don't know why, but it really helps my back when I put one foot up on the shelf. ???

Here is an image....I have since added casters to it...and repainted it...and has seemed to collect a lot more junk on the shelf....lol.

[​IMG]

10. how you been?????????? i use a counter top . its got a lamint on it . cut the slot and you can use differant machines in it . the bucket fits directly under the machine.. just remeber that the capes are diferant lenths. so my counter top is 6 feet long and just under chest high. that way i lean a little over my work area and can see what im doing. your back wont hurt if you take short breaks and USE a sharp blade. imusing a d 4 and a d 5 they seem to work good.. mark c

11. yeh mate, i been well..cant wait till i get the flesher runing though..

12. mario

mario New Member

In my VHS they say that the table should by under you elbows, but it still hurts my back.

Good flashing.

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I have mine like HAPP but I went to Lowes and bought a package of those foam interlocking floor matts they use on exercise floors (about 3/4 inch thick) to put where I stand. I simply CANNOT shave sitting down. One, I can't see over the blade to see what I'm doing and Two, I don't feel the same control and strength I do when standing. I can't swap feet on mine as I have a floor plate switch that turns the motor on and off as I need it.

14. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

The mats used by beauticians are terrific. I've got a heavy duty rubber mat with the beauticians mat on top of that. in total it adds up to about 2"

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

And you young'uns probably don't "need" those matts today, but if you live as long as I have, you'll come to the point later on to realize you sure should have used them. MUCH easier on the legs and lower back.

16. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

I'm already into the back problems...had surgery...done that. See George, I'm older than I look! ;)
    Did you modify your previous response or are my eyes going bad too?

17. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

I'm with George. I can't understand fleshing while sitting. You gotta put your back into it! Arhh!
    Here's a pic of one of my machines and table. My other wheel is a Quebec Light as pictured earlier in this post. Good machine to have for detailing.
    [​IMG]
    Top and sides formica. The rest a few good coats of paint.

18. if you have mineral oil coat every thing on your machine before you start and then again after. this will help protect your allen screws and blade and other parts from rusting. it works grrrreat and cost almost nothin . use it you will like it... {shot a pig the other day with a rifle.. wow he was 165 yrds out running . put him strait to the ground one shot .. } mark c

19. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Anyone use their with the blade facing towards you? My cousin uses his that way in MN.. first time I saw that, Actually worked pretty good. And when I told him I had mine mounted the other way.. he kinda said huh? So I wondered if this worked o rif anyone else had mounted theirs that way? I finally got around to mounting mine in the garage to a lower counter cabinet with a laminate countertop..Blade facing towards me... Just cut out the hole and put it in, then attached the motor from underneath..

20. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

How in the world can your cousin see what he's doing or what has been done? I have to "kinda say HUH?"