1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

HELP! Can't seem to get egg tanning right!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by dogisdead, May 14, 2009.

1. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Instead of eggs - why not try mixing Kerosene and Baking Soda and rubbing it into the flesh side? About 15 years ago I had a woman tell me it works great on sheepskins. However, it was a pure "stuffing" process and I doubt it had any fiber fixation and permenent stabilizing effect on the skin. It may have "appeared" tanned - but truly wasnt.

Since I also noticed no Tanneries picking up on her unusual tan, and never heard any more feedback from her, I guess I have to assume it didnt catch on in the industry. Unfortunately the only advice I could give her was "don't get it wet"!

One quick note about eggs though - the whites were used by the old time fur dressers to add a "glaze" the furs. I'm not familiar with how they were used in the process but it was commonly known.

2. dogisdead

dogisdead New Member

With the fur on :0 And I've tried borax, but they just come out stiff; I want them soft, like some rabbit skins I have (bought). >:

3. dogisdead

dogisdead New Member

Did it at least give a tanned effect? And whats Kerosene? Is it something I could buy from a grocery store? Thanks.

4. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

I personally think you're "spinning your wheels" trying Eggs or even that Kerosene idea. Why not simply go to your pharmacy and buy some Aluminum Sulphate, and do what they call "Alum Tanning"? Aluminum Sulphate is available worldwide and farmers use it to lower their fields pH. If its acceptable for you - then buy larger quantities.

Here's a formula that I used for it.

5 Gls. (20 Litres) of Water
    8 Ozs. (216 grams) Aluminum Sulphate (Iron Free)
    10 Ozs. (270 grams) of Salt
    Use Soda Ash (Sodium Carbonate) to adjust the pH to a 3.8

Soak the relaxed skin in this solution for 3-5 days, rinse, oil and hang to dry.

This is the old time fur dressers method.

5. DOG...with any skin whichever method you use to tan be it brains or borax, alum or eggs...you need to BREAK the fibers under the skin to soften the hide... you can do this by rubbing/stretching the hide over a rounded peice of wood and usuing it to break the fibers under the skin so the hide "relaxes" which is where it gets its sofness...or you can always run it in a dryer with NO HEAT setting for a couple of hours

6. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

When using the tea bag method you have to be sure you don't leave out the chicken poop soup bath. The enzymes wreak havoc on the non-soluble proteins. The drawback compared with the egg method is that you can't eat it later unless the famine gets REAL bad.

I'll throw my vote behind Bruce; the alum method is your best bet. While egg has been used in the way yonder past so was chicken poop. Alternatives for the poop have been found - egg has fallen off the menu.

7. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Eggs are used for the fat liquoring process in lieu of brains. It does not tan the hide. Smoking the hide after the fat liquoring provides the crosslinking required to be considered a tan...

www.braintan.com

8. dogisdead

dogisdead New Member

I don;t think anywhere around here stocks Alum, or at least, does it have any other names? And what does it mean when the skin is 'relaxed'?

9. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

Grocery will carry it, used to be used for making pickles. Ask for alum.

Relaxed means "fully hydrated" after salt or air drying. Very important step that opens the fibers of the skin to be accessed by the next step.

10. Talane

Talane The Rake has nothing on me!

I saw a user posting that the alum makes the fur fall out after a few years due to sulfuric acid, is this true?
    And also, with egg tanning would it be ok to soak the hide in alcohol first to prevent slippage? (after salting)

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Talane, didn't a little window open telling you this post was 3 years old????? Alum tanning has been used for eons now, so do a bit more reading ........and watch that date posted.

12. Talane

Talane The Rake has nothing on me!

Just verifying, George. Not much experience here. And yes I know this post is old, but people don't really appreciate when you start a post on something that already has a topic, whether it covers your question or not. Now, know anything abou the alcohol?