1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bear hide ?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by elk74, May 18, 2009.

1. A freind of mine dropped off a bear hide that was tanned about 6 or 7 years ago.He wants me to do a rug for him,when i was looking it over I noticed that just by rubbing the hair side in a brushing motion with my hand some of the finer hairs were coming out.My question, is this fixable ?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

No, if the cape was shaved thin and the hair follicles were cut then you can't fix it. Also be-careful working on a hide that old. It may have lost it's elasticity due to heat and age. It may hydrate and fall apart. We don't know if it will or not but in my shop I won't work on a hide that old cause of this.
    They don't have hair replacement for bears only men LOL.

3. Thanks Frank,the hide was shaved pretty thin alright.I did tell the guy that i would look into it for him and that i may not be able to do much with the hide.When i asked if it was fixable i did not mean if the few hairs that fell out were fixable i meant weather or not there was anything i could do to tighten the hide back up.Thanks for your response.