1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My blue gill

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by coon hunter, May 19, 2009.

1. coon hunter

coon hunter Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

I'm not really a fish nut but here is one of My blue gills Be for gloss and after , Not really looking for a critique just kind of showing off .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. no telling how good you could get on fish if you would stay out of the woods coonhunting and work on fish. Just kidding from an old coonhunter, nice job and good looking dog.

3. coon hunter

Thanks . LOL That coon was treed By that old dog last year ,and will probably be the last one he trees .he will be 13 In June. It is in the freezer ,and I am going to mount it . I have four more to finish and a Crappie on a rood wad . I will post a picture of it when its completed.

4. coon hunter

This is what I'm working on I still have two more to do and a Crappie that goes in the center.
    Also they are half cast and filled with fish filler .

[​IMG]

5. TomL

TomL New Member

Hey coonhunter, nice lookin fish. I've got a similar project planned for a fishing resort. If I might ask, did you order the piece of driftwood from somewhere or is it one you found. Thats similar to what I want to use. If you ordered it from somewhere could you tell me. I usually go out and find my own, just haven't had a chance to yet. Thanks alot. Tom

6. coon hunter

That was given to me By another customer I did a mount for ,its the other half . I do know where I can get some more Roots though . A guy I know cleaned up a cedar thicket and there is root wads galore .

7. Disecador

Disecador New Member

JUst a Constructive Criticism , you need to work on shading in more contrast to the fish, going lighter from the belly to darker on top, bluegills are very colorfull when they are alive.
    Notice this live one as the colors go up in shades ? I use a Translucent yellow over a silver pearl base and then real light blue along the top aand under the translucent yellow then I use a back black to shade in a darker top.

8. Disecador

Disecador New Member

When they die is when they get darker

9. Disecador

Disecador New Member

What makes a good Fish artist is note all the details in shading and contrast and able to mix colors translucently on the skin of the fish you're painting.
    But you did a pretty good job.

10. TomL

TomL New Member

Thanks for the response. I'm goin out driftwood hunting this weekend. I like your setup, gives me a good idea of what to look for.

11. coon hunter

Thanks for the help . I'm not rally a fish guy . I'm more of a Bird and animal Guy . :)

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

They get darker during the spawn. (males)

13. Besides the spawning it also depends on the subspecies. right now north America has 6 subspecies.

14. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

True, I was mainly referring the ref. pic, which to me appeared to be a spawning male bluegill, not a dead one. ;)

[​IMG]

15. Exactly
    to me that pic looks like a spawning male and seems rather unfaded by death.
    I may be seeing it funky though.

16. That guy holding the gill above is the co-founder of bigbluegill.com. His name is Bruce and he has his own ponds stocked with nice ones and he lets them go. That website has some great reference pictures of sunfish of all kinds.

17. http://bigbluegill.com/

check it out.

18. Disecador

Disecador New Member

Down here we do have about 8 differnt breams but they are all light color, except the ones you get in canals which is darker water.
    But The standard Blue gill here is the one laying in the water.

19. Disecador

Disecador New Member

I use them all the Time for reference, I do 89% fish down here, and it took me a good 2 years to learn to paint with thin paints, mixing the colors within the fish skin, I was taught by Charles Sanchez ofTheo's Taxidermy in Homestead Fla, R.I.P.
    He was the best Fish Painter all around, he painted oil Paintings as well ,today they sell for a lot $$$.
    I wasn't trying to criticize but to give some pointers to better the Fish painting.

20. Brando24

Brando24 Member

Here's two that I caught last week, Hope this helps.

Attached Files: