1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Black Rabbits?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by huntingdreams, May 21, 2009.

1. huntingdreams

huntingdreams Member

WI
    I have 9 of these little black bunny's running around my house. They have a hole next to my garage. The mother is a gray cotton tail rabbit. Why are all the little ones black? These are the best pictures I can get. Soon as they see you there gone.

Attached Files:

2. I WANT ONE!

I WANT THEM ALL!!

;)

As you may see from my signatures, I am always on the lookout for black rabbits. If you trap, shoot or just plain ol' grab them, I will buy them from you..... ;D

3. Jesse H

Jesse H New Member

i won`t one died or alive ;)

4. huntingdreams

huntingdreams Member

WI
    GK, I will see if I can get one or a couple for you. This past winter the mother ate all of my cedar shrubs so I don't think I want all of these around.

5. Probably mixed with a domestic rabbit that got loose. It's happened out here a few times but they were white and didn't last long in the wild.

6. Josh H

Josh H New Member

how much are you planning to charge ???

7. huntingdreams

huntingdreams Member

WI
    I have no clue what they are worth. I will see how many I can get. I have a live trap I will put out tonight. Any clues to what they would be worth?

8. I will PM you,..... ;)

9. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Those are cool. I'd let one or two stay alive and see if they breed and if you end up with more black ones later or even other colors. Later, Dan

10. Jesse H

Jesse H New Member

navr miand

11. Jesse H

Jesse H New Member

:( :( :(

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I've mounted a few adult melanistic cottontails. The entire litter is a bit unusual, but I don't know if rabbits fertilize multiple eggs during gestation or the egg naturally splits. If it splits, then all melanistic broods would not be that strange of an occurrance. Interesting.

You should charge $500 each for them. LOL Remember, this is likely to be the last payday for finding them as I know melanistic bunnies are NOT that common to begin with.

As they age, if they're true melanistic, their undertails will be white and the edges of their legs will show a brown tinge to them. Personally, I'd let them grow a bit before dusting a couple.

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I've thought that about more than a few girlfriends once reality set in :)

14. I'd trap them and raise them. Sounds like you have a potential gold mine on your hands. Why not expand and see if the offspring would be black as well. ;)

15. I got one last year in North Dakota with my .22. I had Amy Carter mount it for me since I don't dare mess with darned small game. That was the first one I had ever seen, even though I read about them in George's book. This one had no white on it at all, but has some brown under the feet. Neat find! Make sure you keep one for yourself!

16. Donna1

Donna1 June 1965 Panama

maybe you'd better check your wood pile.......

17. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

most likely mixed with domestics.....duluth Mn. has a sizeable population of gone wild tame rabbits on park point which is an Island cut off from mainland by the lift bridge...they thrive and reproduce with no natural enimies....ie fox,fisher,bobcat...the dnr has tried for years to exterminate them without success....if they are truely wild ,in wisc you better check your game laws before live trapping them or trapping them out of season....

18. bone_painter

bone_painter "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."

We used to have a sizable population of "wild", odd colored rabbits here in Sheridan, predominantly black. They all came from a group of domesticated rabbits, owned by an elderly woman who became to ill to care for them. They got loose and began breeding with the local rabbits. Black rabbits could be seen in many areas of town, but for the most part the formed a large colony in a field on the north end of town. After a few years of unchecked breeding, the city finally stepped in and exterminated 99% of them. I wish I had been into taxidermy back then, because I'm sure the number of rabbits that went to the dump was well over 100.

19. huntingdreams

huntingdreams Member

WI
    The owner or occupant of any land and members of their family* may,
    without a license and subject to all other restrictions except seasons, hunt or trap on
    their own property for beaver, fox, coyote, raccoon, woodchuck, rabbit, and squirrel
    year-round: however, hunting with a fire arm is not allowed during the 24-hour period
    immediately preceding the regular gun deer season, and hunting is illegal for anyone
    under the age of 12.

20. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

there ya go...whats the law say about taking/raising live?