1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Preserving a box turtle shell

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Shadowwolf, May 23, 2009.

1. Shadowwolf

Shadowwolf New Member

I joined this forum JUST to ask this question: how does one preserve a turtle shell? I have an eastern box turtle (he was the pet of a friend) sitting in the freezer, he is about 8 inches in length, and I wanted to keep the shell, but I wanted the scutes and the beautiful design to stay ON the shell...

So how do I go about doing that? I want it to come out looking just like this: http://www.sealifegifts.net/user_images/TURTLESHELL.jpg Now obviously that's a completely different turtle than the one I have, but same concept ;) I understand it will be work, I just need to know how to do it. Is anyone here well-versed on turtle taxidermy?

2. Eastern box turtles are protected in most states which will make it a no-no

3. Shadowwolf

Shadowwolf New Member

Wetnwild, I am well aware of this species' protected status in concerns to their WILD numbers. This one, however, was a captive specimen, and was donated to me by its owner when it passed away (we live in a northwestern state where these animals do not occur naturally). There are no rules against the mounting of pet-trade turtles, because pet-trade turtles can legally be sold and therefore can legally be skinned if they die.

I find it fascinating that you could be so unhelpful, when there are people on this forum who sell and even SELL for PROFIT such exotic specimens as sulcata tortoises (albeit captive as well), which are most definitely protected throughout their entire natural range.

4. All I was trying to do was make sure YOU knew about the laws as most people do not. ever see all the posts about people finding sea-turtles and wanting to know how to preserve them?? they have no idea!!! And by the way, sulcatas are not regulated in thew states, and come from AFRICA, not the USA. AND! Unless you have a little piece of paper showing it is nottaken from the wild from a state where it is protected, you are in the wrong. People on here including muself sell gaboon vipers, and all sorts of exotic herps, but also know the laws regarding them. All staes are different in regards to their own state restrictions, and was just trying to make sure you knew the law!! Get the chip off your shoul;der and stop being a punk!!!!!!

5. Shadowwolf

Shadowwolf New Member

Relax, Wetnwild.

Thankyou, Gator Dun :) Do you have a list of stores that sell Modge Podge? Would I find it at a hardware store or a craft store?

6. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Walmart has it in the craft section. So does Hobby Lobby or Michael's. You also have a choice of glossy or matte finish:)

7. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Dang, Tom. You're getting soft in your old age! :p Why don't you tell him what you REALLY think? ;)

And before you go all balistic and start pounding your chest, keep in mind that I agree...he had a chip. You tried to knock it off. But I don't think it worked. lmao :p ;)

8. Tricia, i may have overreacted, but aI was just trying to help in case he did not know the law as many do not. i do not think i deserved an attitude as i was only trying to make sure he did noitget in trouble. I was not trying to knock it off though, i thought I controled my temper pretty good as compared to?? LOL

9. Tricia

Tricia New Member

:eek: You think I have a temper? Oh my. ::) Alright, so I have a hot one. It takes the right buttons being pushed at the right moment though. Usually I'm a slow burner, but occasionally I get these sudden hot flashes. Think it's menopause? ;)

10. Yuppers!!!!!