1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bacteria growth??

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by Wdlangford, May 23, 2009.

  1. Wdlangford

    Wdlangford New Member

    I'm finishing up a base when I noticed a bad night mare. I have bacteria growing and I would like to know if there is something out there that I can get from Home Depot or any hardware store real fast like. I tried a new concoction using paper mache, Vermiculite, plaster paris and water. I can know see the water is probubly the culprit here. I just sealed the dirt and leaves with a calk and water mixture when I noticed the bacteria growing. I need something that I can spray directly on this habitat to kill it. I will try to post a pic, but not sure how that will turn out. Any help is needed real fast before further growth. Thanks very much.[​IMG]
     
  2. Wayne R

    Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

    I'm wondering if it is still a little damp and it will disappear after it dries? If not, the first thought I had was to spray a solution with bactericide in it. Maybe try one spot to see if it will work.
     

  3. Wdlangford

    Wdlangford New Member

    Thanks Wayne, yes it is still quite a bit damp. I will give it a few days and see. I just wondered if there was something out there I could get on it to keep it from happening any further.
     
  4. Wayne R

    Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

    It probably wouldn't hurt to put a bit of that Bactericide in, while your mixing up your materials for the base, or when you are sealing it. I never tried the caulk and water mix, just white glue and water. Maybe it would help to keep it from getting started?
     
  5. joeym

    joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

    Spray it with isopropal alcohol...it should stop it in its tracks.
     
  6. Wdlangford

    Wdlangford New Member

    Thanks guys, I think the alcohol will do the trick.
     
  7. Sikk

    Sikk Member

    Are we sure this is bacteria? It could be a fungal/mold growth. When mixing water in a habitat, try mixing 1/8 teaspoon regular chlorine bleach(unscented)per gallon of water. This should help sanitize the mix without bleaching. Another help is pre sanitize any organic material(peat moss, soil,etc) 180 degrees in the oven for 1/2 hour should kill everything without burning. I do it on an old cookie sheet spread thin( 1/2 inch to 1 inch deep), no smell no mess. paul
     
  8. First its not bacteria you see its mold. Second yor dirt needs to be sterile to preven this.

    Joey nailed it.
    YOu should have put a fan on it to dry faster.
     
  9. Wdlangford

    Wdlangford New Member

    You are right, it was mold, not bacteria. (My wrong use of words.) There was a lot of dirt is this habitat, no way to put all that dirt in an oven, is there any other way to Sterilize this much dirt?
     
  10. In an oven. use a pan and bake it for 20 minutes at 350F.
     
  11. Sikk

    Sikk Member

    Yes there is a way to sterilize soil without heat or steam, but you may need and pesticide applicators license to purchase it, Green house growers use a soluable fungicide to water into soil before starting new plants. Try a local garden center, tell them you need something to kill soil mold/fungal organisms. THey may have an over the counter product that does not require a license to purchase. The other option is to build a plywood box( insulate if you wish), with a cover, hook up a turkey deep fat fryer filled with a couple gallons of water to it with a radiator hose and steam it for an hour or so, get the soil temp to 180 degrees, use the deep fat fryer thermometer to watch the temp, just stick it in the soil. Once you have it sterile, let it dry out and store in a sealed container, paul