1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Quickest Tanning Method

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by trapper 1, May 23, 2009.

1. trapper 1

trapper 1 New Member

I have to mount this bear this week. The customer requested it be tanned. What is the quickest way to tan this bear in a matter of days? Would it hurt the mount later on if it was just Dry preserved? Thanks Tyler

2. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

You need to send it to a PROFESSIONAL TANNERY.
    You Need to do what your client ASKED and what you agreed to, sent it to a pro
    If you don't, your not what I would call a professional taxidermists or a good business person.
    Their is NO WAY to do a GOOD job on a bear WITH A BATHTUB TAN.

3. trapper 1

trapper 1 New Member

He said in the contract he would like it tanned or the other best possible way. If I did not tan it dry preservitive works just as good.

4. *

You haven't been a taxidermist to long have you.?
    You'll loose a client as soon as summer hits and it sweats and stinks up his house using DP.
    GOOD LUCK . ::) ::) ::) ::)
    I'm sorry in my opinion if you use DP on a bear your might want to change your business name and cards and replace the T with an H in your business name and/or your title.

5. trapper 1

trapper 1 New Member

No they dont offend me. I appreicate opinion. The thing is I have never sent an animal to a tannery.

6. Dude, Dennis just told you what was the best thing to do. If you DP that bear, you will regret it. And, thats a promise. If you home tan it and do not know exactly what you are doing, that means years of experience in trial and error with degreasing, you will regret it. And thats a promise. If you want to give your client the best possible job you need to send it to a professional tannery and get it dry tanned. And that's a fact. ;)

7. *

Tyler I just want you to do THE BEST THING for your client.
    The VERY BEST THING for every taxidermist , everything you do effects every taxidermists business with a lot of ramifications .

8. *

A professionaly tanned skin will last longer and MAKE YOU A BETTER TAXIDERMIST.
    Your work will be nicer, cleaner, and better.

9. So, there is a first time for everything. Does that mean this is your first bear, or does that mean you have DP"ed bears before?

10. trapper 1

trapper 1 New Member

I don't know much about tanneries. Which one would you recommend? It means this is the first time I have sent an animal to a tannery.

11. *

12. trapper 1

trapper 1 New Member

Do they charge per foot or per square foot? Or what?

13. On bears its usually by the linear foot.

14. *

an average Black is going to cost you under $200

15. trapper 1

trapper 1 New Member

Yikes I will have to call and tell him I am going to have to raise the price. This customer is a very tight man.

16. Is it a L/S or Shoulder mount? Have you Priced the form? Make sure you figure in shipping the supplies. ;)

17. *

If you tanned it yourself, is your time free???????
    If tanning price upsets your client you need new clients.

18. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Dude, your screwing up BIG time if you don't send that out to be done professionally :-\ :'(

19. trapper 1

trapper 1 New Member

It is Lifesize. I had a hard time convincing him that this bear was pretty cheap. I don't really charge for time it is included in the mount price. I probably will tan it professionally if the guy still wants it.

20. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    whats 200 hundreds bucks ,you are charging accordingly are u not,small bear 100# starts at 2500$ here, and i am probably a little cheap.