1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Global does it again

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by fishmounter, Sep 16, 2006.

1. fishmounter

fishmounter New Member

Well I just lost another potential customer to Global Fish Mounts "because they are only $7.95 an inch and you are $15.00".... I also found a large full color ad in one of our local bass fishing newspapers. Has anyone seen their work up close, especially their bass and trout? For that price, they can't be doing any detail work like painting individual scales and interior mouth detail.

2. Capt. Bryan

Capt. Bryan Guest

Jeff, Yes i have seen them up close.
    They are finished to be viewed at a distance ;)

No detail, mouth is bondo, fins 1/4 inch thick, no scale detail to speak of.
    paint is crude at best.
    I know i'll catch some flack for speaking up , as there are folks on here that patronize them. Crude blanks imported from china, finished by cheap labor. I know business is business , but i really am tired of the poop, As i can't and won't compete with 50% commisions. If people knew the captains were getting half of the money for thier mount, they would see why el capitan is so eager to "sign them up". Jeff i know your work and respect it well, i try to do my very best on each and every mount, but there are some people out there that just want cheap. You can have good and you can have cheap, but you CAN'T have BOTH! :mad:
    From now on when the customer says they can get it cheaper at gray/global/kingsailfish i will say i can match that price, just tell me what you want me to leave off your fish. I can bondo in the mouth, take out my hand paited accurate eyes, and have my kids paint it with house paint. :eek:

Jeff, i know exactly how you feel and its very frustrating to say the least! :p

3. finfeathr

finfeathr Member

when people call and say they can get it done cheaper, I just tell them to hang on to my #, so they can have me rework and repaint the fish for them after they take it from the box they paid exhorbitant shipping and handling fees on{they gotta get back that commission $ paid to the captain somehow], and its either broken, horrible looking, or both....I do plenty of repaints of Grays fish.....

4. fishmounter

fishmounter New Member

Well that's fine and dandy for you but I don't want to repaint and repair someone elses crap!

5. finfeathr

finfeathr Member

You have to realize, most people want to get the job done for as cheap as possible...so, grays\global is going to be in business forever. People will spend tons of $ on fishing equipment, rods, reels, lures, charters, airfare, travel agents,etc. just to go on that trip, but when it comes to the expense of displaying the memory of that catch for a lifetime, they cheap out. I have been doing commercial taxidermy for 25 yrs, and not only deal with the online Global crowd that dont want to pay, but I also have a competitor about 20 miles from me on Long Island that also puts out Grays\Global quality stuff, [ in fact, I would have to say, Grays actually beats him, as he cant paint a fish worth a damn] and he also gives the captains/agents 50%, so he gets the majority of fish work around here. I repaint alot of his crap too.....usually,once I do the repair or repaint, I can explain the whole "get what you pay for" shpiel to them, and they are receptive to it, because they know they were taken by the other guy, and now you have him and his friends for life, because you "saved" the fish, and made it look good. Like I said, people are cheap, and they have to learn that the cheap job they got online costs them alot more in the long run.