1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey Tips and Tactics #4 - Leg Prep/Wiring

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by bw, May 24, 2009.

1. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

I have thought of trying stranded bondo and notching areas for to see if I get more bond as well? The bondo not being notched wants to pop right out of the form when adjusting legs thank god for the hanger screwed in to keep it in place.

2. samantha

samantha New Member

I have never done a turkey, but I have one frozen, waiting for me. All the posts you have made are "so" helpful for all of us beginners. I am learning alot from what you are showing us all. Keep up the good work!!

3. bw

bw New Member

You definitely have to have something for the bondo to "bite". As has been discussed thoroughly on these forums by George....bondo isn't necessarily an adhesive. But when applied to rough surfaces, it forms around any irregularities and then sets up hard. This allows it to hold onto the surface, but not actually "adhere" to it. The chopped glass mix won't improve your results as long as the foam is still slick.

You could also use a rasp or sandpaper and rough up the inside of the leg slots.

4. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

When I posted about the bondo I thought of George right away.

5. That is a great tip on the Bondo. Thanks for sharing. What I would like to see if any one wants to share, is the different ways all of you anchor your turkeys to your base when doing a flying mount. You get used to doing it the same way every time, but I sure learn new and easier ways on this forum. Thanks for all the input. John

6. bw

bw New Member

I anchor my flying birds the same way I do my standing birds. Two pieces of 1/4" threaded rod, nuts and washers.

Just imagine this same photo sequence with the rods coming out of the belly of the bird.

7. Brando24

Brando24 Member

Thanks for taken the time to post this, very helpfull.

8. ed150

ed150 deer city time

yea Brando it is very nice of him to do so,its so helpful to us new guys on turkeys.bw bird work is very impressive to say the least,he is a great guy on top of his talent :)

9. mklein

mklein New Member

ct,
    great post. thanks for your time to do this. going to do my first turkey this way gobbling from the roost.whats the best feet position for this. like you have it or one behind the other like walking down the branch.any info on the best way to set the wings

10. bw

bw New Member

I personally prefer birds on the wall to be broadside to the viewer. That classic turkey profile is what I am trying to show off. If your bird is gobbling with his tail down and walking away from the wall, you will have to have him a long way out in the room to avoid hitting the wall. Consider that as well.

11. mklein

mklein New Member

ct,
    I see what your saying.that side profile is nice. an a semi strut is what i would like to try.this is my second try at turkey the first was about 12 years ago it was a standing mount it looked good but i should have bondo the legs to the body like you show in your post.thanks again

12. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Nice work, I will chip in my $0.02 worth.

I don't rebuild the ankles with epoxy until I mount the bird. That lets me skip supergluing the ankle skin in place as a couple pins and some pressure into the soft epoxy holds it in place. I do the leg/body setup on a "batch" of birds, 4 or 5, at the same time, let them dry, paint at the same time.

13. matchbook454

matchbook454 Member

bw, thanks for sharing these tips! I'm just starting taxidermy and info like this is priceless! Since turkeys are my favorite, I'm staring off by doing a breast mount but plan on doing a full mount after next years season!

14. mario

mario New Member

Thanks for sharing!!

15. timstaxidermy

timstaxidermy Member

A very good lesson on wiring and prepping the turkey legs.
    better than any book .
    The last turkey strutter i mounted i did the exact same way but i used 3/8 rod on legs.
    big mistake too stiff,, you are 100% correct.
    excellent article..

16. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

Great tutorial!!! I like the tip about keeping one end of the rod "clean" so you can thread the nut on it. That will save some of us from trouble!

17. bw

bw New Member

Becky, believe me, I learned the hard way!! I am glad to see you pick up on something small like that. Those are the type of little things that can make an already experienced taxidermist have just a little better day in the shop.