1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bluegill/pumkinseed hybrid??

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by den007, Sep 16, 2006.

1. den007

den007 Active Member

Hey Cecil, I know you are into evil fish genetics......I got this beautiful fish to paint I think must by a hybrid. Do you raise any of these? It is not the best photo, but it had irridescent blue-green all over the place. I will post a pic of the finished mount if the photo looks clear.

2. den007

den007 Active Member

Wow, I am looking at this on the web and it completely washes out the blue-green spots and mottling around the mouth I was talking about. The hard copy pic was much better. Hmmmmm, what do you think anyways?

3. AnglingArtisan

AnglingArtisan Well-Known Member

Not Cecil, But it looks like a typical female Bluegill to me.
    ;)

4. DaveT

DaveT "But with God all things are possible"

Looks like a bluegill to me as well

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Yes I concur. On the web here it looks like a female bluegill. Dont' see an pumpkinseed characteristics at all. Additionally hybrids usually have some color or light edging on the rim of the black ear flap which this fish does not.

I have seen lots of variation on irridescense on pure strain bluegill. Got one in this spring that was a normal except for a strong blue irridescence all over the normal colors.

6. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Bluegill.

7. fishmounter

fishmounter New Member

My vote: Bluegill/female...but...it has the longer head similar to a Redear, but does have the smaller Bluegill mouth. How long is this fish?

8. den007

den007 Active Member

It was almost 10 inches......small mouth, everything like a bluegill but much more blue-green mottling on face, body, everywhere, and sides were very gold. Here is the paint job, which is more like the photo.

9. den007

den007 Active Member

God, I can't figure this techno stuff out. I will try again. Here is what the fish looked like.

10. den007

den007 Active Member

It seems every time I cut these images down to a size that fits here, I lose detail. Much, Much more blue-green spotting is all I can say.l

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Looks nice. Looks like you captured the colors of the fish in the photo pretty well!

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Excellent job Dennis! I'm sure your customer was ecstatic!

Carved body, half cast, or freeze dry? The anatomy is so outstanding it almost looks like a replica, although I believe you said you mounted it?

13. Very nice job!

14. den007

den007 Active Member

Thank you all! I just read some nice comments. Just wish you could have seen the real fish......there were even some blue-green marks up against the black "ear" mark. More striping and mottled along the lower jaw, not a straight line up like many gills have. The mount was freeze dried, and I can't tell you the time and effort it saves, as well as some retention of color. Here is a white crappie I just did.....freeze dried as well and no agonizing over scales, no puckering on the top of the head.....just slick. Ron's Taxidermy in Lake Zurich IL......he is nearby for me, and advertises in the magazines. He will pose it any way you like.

15. den007

den007 Active Member

Here is the freeze dry white crappie......it only took me about 10 minutes to paint because the FD process preserves the natural marking real nice. I will post the bluegill pic in my gallery at Angler's Art and hopefully can use more pixels to show the color better if anyone would like to see it.

16. Wildchild 69

Wildchild 69 Trust Me!!!

You do very nice work. The crappie I see are so many times overpainted and i believe I see a hint of iridescence in the fins. I usually see this through the gill flap as well in the fall and winter. Was co has some great paints for replicating this. Funny that WASCO comes up on the spell check! Pray for our soldiers. Peace. Jeff F.