1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Removing Tipped Horns

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by susanl, May 26, 2009.

1. susanl

susanl New Member

Has anyone removed cattle horns that have been tipped? I'm wondering if when they've been tipped they fuse at the end? We're trying masceration of a couple of skulls, after soaking for a couple of days the buffalo horns are in good shape and come off easily. Cattle are not so good. The surface is peeling off. I guess another question is does anyone know how to fix up the horns after?

Thanks,
    Susan

2. jward

jward First with a bow

I think machealp just had a tutorial that had some repair work in it.

3. mahatma

mahatma Vertex

Texas
    Nearly all the heads I do on cattle have been tipped. They are ex bucking bulls and breeding bulls with large horns. I had the same problem you did. The horns where they are rough start to peel after to many days soaking. That is why you have to remove the outer horn. I found through others on this forum to only soak the horn two or three days. Then you have to get the outer horn off. While they are soaking pull them up and try to wiggle them about twice a day. Most times what I do is take a rubber hammer to them and they will come loose. I thought I was going to tear something up but that horn and those layers of keratin are a lot harder than I thought. I have seen it said time after time on this forum. If that horn will wiggle even a little. It will come off. There are some excellent articles that go from drill sanding wheels to jewlers rouge and buffers for the hornst. Here is one that has been cleaned (not rouged) and the other is still original.
    [​IMG]