1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Buggins... the cure for black Flies

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Missouri Creek Studio, May 27, 2009.

1. Missouri Creek Studio

Missouri Creek Studio Black buck Walnut pedestal

In Western Illinois the buffalo gnats and black flies ( appear to one of the same) came in with a vengeance this spring. Found a new (at least to me) product called Buggins that comes in a spray bottle and has pure vanilla, Rose and Mint as the ingredients. Not great on mosquitoes but after testing it out fishing, it works great. Everyone around here iswaiting list to get it. Sells for around 7.00 and may be available over the internet, if you want to search. The bugs have been so bad that the local Gander Mountain sold out of face nets and has another 190 on order.

2. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Want protection from Black Fly infestation? Go to our website www.whitemountaininsectrepellent.com and purchase the world's best midge and black fly repellent available...money back guarantee. JL

3. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Jean, are you going to the NEAT show next weekend and will have any on hand?

4. JL

Yes I'll be there and will have some with me. Will also donate some for the auction. JL

5. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Good deal, I'll catch up with you, thanks.

6. JL

Our display boxsays it all..."Black flies hate this stuff"!!

Attached Files:

7. Hey JL ...

How much to get two bottle shipped my way?

8. I have few bottles of JL's stuff, and it is the best black fly treatment out there. It also comes with as small applicator so you do not have to get it on your hands and get them greasy. I think it is labeled as sportsmans formula!

9. JL

PLTannery you really need to buy from the website. This makes it easier for all involved....and it guarantees the sale. Thanks for the interest. JL

10. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

around here we call em dog pecker gnats and you can just go to the store and buy a 97 cent bottle of vanila extract. mix it in some water in a mister bottle and walla dog pecker gnat repellant.

11. are those the annoying little flies that just go around in circles?

12. DropTine

DropTine DSCN0137.JPG

Yes we just call them gnats in Minnesota. Mark

13. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

i dont think thats so called "dog pecker gnats" and black flies are the same thing. haveing been to canada many times im pretty sure there is a difference. i dont get bother by the doggy gnats here and we certainly have dogs that get them.

14. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Around her it's 1 of 3 catagories Chit fly, dog pecker gnat, or skeeter. LOL Yes they are black flies and ciricle your freakin head. Mabey since I shaved my head they think I'm a big dog pecker. Either way regular vanilla will keep em away no need for fancy repellants

15. JL

Uncle Harley....since you have your head shaved and look like a walking cantaloup...those flies around your head are probably fruit flies and not black flies. If you ever were exposed to the REAL black flies , like we have in the northeast,I believe you would use your vanilla to flavor a milkshake and would be happy to use a repellent that works for protection.Ask anyone who has hunted spring bears in Ontario, or the northeast, which they would rather use on their hunts. Black flies don't eat cantaloups.

16. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

they are real black flies and we've had them bad this yr. Don't normally have a problem with them. Look at the main ingredient in that repellant it's vanilla and there is probably some mint as well. But I'm telling you the vanilla works. I couldn't go out in my yard without being swarmed and an old farmer told me about the vanilla and I'll be dipped if it didn't work. Just like a scented clothes dryer sheet stuck in your pocket will repell skeeters