1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"Guests"

Discussion in 'Forum Operations' started by Atdymoke, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Atdymoke

Atdymoke New Member

I love the new forum and everything that it has to offer, but it still seems we are running into the some of the same things we were running into the "no name" posters. I don't see an downside to limiting the forum to people who register, that way there are no nameless posts .. am I missing something.

Again don't get me wrong, I'm very appreciative of the new forum and the changes, I'm just thinking of some additional things to enhance and grow.

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Boy you got that right!

3. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

"I don't see an downside to limiting the forum to people who register, that way there are no nameless posts .. am I missing something."

YEP!

Search robots can not register, and they don't know passwords. They're browser programs.........like a guest would use. What would be the point in having a website if it was not "searchable". How would anyone find the site to register?

For some strange reason, I've got this feeling that Ken is on top of everything.

4. I see where Asher is coming from. I have been having the same thought. Would it be possible to still let guests come on here and read the posts, but not let them post? If you want to post you need to register, if you just want to read, you can come in as a guest. ???..Just wondering. I think that may solve some of the problems we are starting to have with some "guest" posters :)

5. Atdymoke

Atdymoke New Member

Glen, don't get me wrong ... I know Ken has a lot of experience running this site but I still think these nameless posts have to be stopped. They are not only a disruption to the folks that come on here to discuss, sell and learn, but they are also an extreme annoyance.

Evelyn hit it on the money, wouldn't it be possible to allow the general public to view the site but not post unless they are a registered member? Wouldn't that still allow the sight to be hit from the search engines.

Again just a thought .... here let's vote on it!

6. Glen Conley

Have I missed something? Are there threads where guests are creating problems? There's three moderators now.

Asher, your typing finger is faster than mine. You caused my post above to bounce back to me.

7. Atdymoke

Atdymoke New Member

Glen, the key word there is typing finger meaning one ... I hunt and peck with a regular keyboard and the keys on my laptop are even smaller ... ;)

I have noticed some the most recent being in the for sale column where the poster called themselves "uh" and questioned the seller who was selling some birds. I don't have a problem with others questioning things, I can just see it getting out of hand again. I know there are moderators, but why not cut back on the issues they have to moderate?

8. cold trapper

cold trapper age 15 a trapperman w/7 prime rats!

Glen. thanks for the forum..the forum is great like it is! great job,. really appreceiate your work. Leave it alone till after christmas. i vote.
    :)

9. Glen Conley

See I told ya your typing finger was faster than mine.

What you're saying makes sense, but I'm not the one to say if the new program would allow it. I think Ken may have eluded to being able to put more restrictions on visitors.

I'll say one thing, BOY! I sure am glad I'm not the one trying to fly this thing, we would all crash and burn!

Now dadburnit! CT caused this one to bounce back! I think he's got Glen and Ken mixed up. He's Ken, I'm Glen. He's the computer genius, I just drive a pickup.

10. RLDILWORTH

RLDILWORTH LIFE MEMBER NRA AND NTA

I am in favor of a no Guest policy, am I wrong?

11. Atdymoke

Atdymoke New Member

Glen maybe we need to look into one of those speech/typing programs where you just talk and it types ... hmmmm. ;D

I have to believe the program would allow it to restrict certain features to "guests", it may be just a matter of getting it all figured out, which by the way is well beyond my level .... I'm happy if my computers turn on every day!

And by the way Glen you do more than just drive a truck! ;D

12. undone

undone Guest

I have to be a guest because for reason i cant register or login .It keeps telling me my email address is being used by another member and ken cant find it to delete it for some reason.I like the new forum ,just a little confusing .

13. rodlrock

rodlrock Mold Maker HQ Taxidermy Supply.

Get another e mail address from yahoo or your ISP then you can register on the list problem solved.

14. Yeah, Glen drives a Mega Monster truck! Jurassic Truck! LOL

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

That's the way it is on other sites I frequent. You can look but you can't touch unless you register.

16. Glen Conley

Darn guests! I want you to look at what one of them posted today! That wascally wabbit! There is always two sides to the coin.

Just two Sunday morning fish questions
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php?topic=1570.0

David, thanks for the new name for my truck, after all these years I think it should have something new.

17. I agree that guests should be allowwed to read and browse but you need to register to post.

18. Atdymoke

Atdymoke New Member

I agree there are two sides to a coin and this "guest" that you made reference to was obviously very knowledgeable and very professional to their post, there were a lot of no name posters on the old forum as well that had very nicely articulated posts that added value and there were also a lot of "no value" posters.

I have seen one case where someone could not register because of their e-mail address issue, but other than that why would someone not want to register on this site and get all the benefits? I thought I read somewhere also that guests could not upload pics onto the site .... why is that? What's wrong with the look but do not touch approach? (Quoting Cecil on that)

I'm not trying to alienate any legitimate people who want to use this site for it's intended purposes, I'm just proposing an idea that could enhance, preserve, and offer future growth to those that frequent the site ... plain and simple.

19. ELMER GANTRY

ELMER GANTRY **THE DISTANCE OF GOOSE**

Yea Right. Same argument was used for concealed carry down here........gonna be hundreds of dead folks littering the streets if that law passes.........guess what it didn't happen. Three weeks or so ago we were ALL guests of WASCO, in the "old" forum, and in actuality we are still "guest", the only thing different is posting an email address.
    Ken and his mods, have the ability to deal with any unruly "guest" or members.
    Cecil, wasn't that "Phil" guy on your fish site a registered member!
    Rasmussem was mutinied by his registered members, not his "guest' as I see it.
    Certainly the "smite" controversy on this forum was not caused by any "guest" since "guest" can't smite. Those were member on member smites, guest being totally innocent!
    Look up the habidashary definition of "member", some people are just memberheads, whether they are registered or not! ;D
    As my old great grandpap Col. Whimsical Gantry said on his dying bed , "Elmer iffin it ain't broke , thar ain't no sense in fixin hit"
    It ain't broke YET.
    If and when that happens I am sure Ken Edwards and crew will take the appropriate steps to keep everyone in line, BUT I will put my money that they will spend more of their administration time with "members" than with "guest".

20. Atdymoke

Atdymoke New Member

Elmer, you're right we are guests ... but we are REGISTERED guests of this site. Does this mean that we don't or won't have issues with registered members, absolutely not, I know we will. Will these unruly registered members be dealt with by Ken and his mods .... absolutely. I have every ounce of faith in Ken, his mods, and their ability to handle situations. One of the biggest complaints over the years in the "old" forum (besides people asking questions that have been answered a million times) was people posting, without names or fake names or no names, things that had nothing to do with taxidermy and were often times belittling or offensive to others. I agree with the the old saying "if it's not broken don't fix it", but why wait until it's an issue again? Why not be proactive vs. reactive? Again I want everyone who reads this post to understand I have no doubts in the ability of Ken or anyone else monitoring or running this site, but I believe this would be an enhancement of this site and of course this is MHO (My Honest Opinion).