1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finishing the back of WALL PEDESTAL

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by machine gun man, May 31, 2009.

1. Here is my method for finishing the back of wall pedestals:

As shown below, allow enough excess hide to cover the back of the form. (also cover the areas that are foam only without plywood support backing).
    staple the hide to the plywood AND the foam section of the form. ( the staples will hold quite well in the foam as well) ** i recommend using a strong hide paste to help hold the hide to the foam section too ***

[​IMG]

I normally let the hide dry before starting the finishing process. begin as follows: cut a piece of material ( i get this one from wal-mart fabric dept.) larger than the area you wish to cover.
    using t pins, follow the contours of your finishing area and pin into place.

[​IMG]

take a marker and draw yourself a line as to where you want the material cut.

[​IMG]

cut the material on the line that you just drew.

[​IMG]

Remove the cut out fabric and liberally cover the foam underneath with hide paste or other adhesive.

put the fabric back into place ensuring that it is in your desired postition.
    stretch the material and adjust until all wrinkles are removed. adjust your t-pins as needed to achieve this.
    once you have all the wrinkles out, you can now staple the fabric to the form.

The fabric will not naturally stick to the curvature of the form right away. Utilize some necking material and long t-pins to hold it in place until the glue takes hold and cures.

[​IMG]

Let the adhesive cure overnight, then carefully remove the necking material.

Taking a hot glue gun or super glue, attach your border rope. Your wall pedestal is now finished.

[​IMG]

2. 10inchbeard

10inchbeard Member

great tutorial!!! Thanks

3. Just wondering if you have ever used the method of dremmeling a slot and tucking the material and the hide into it? I have only tried 1 pedestal mount and that is how I did it, but this looks like it works just as well!

4. Yes, i dremeled a few and did not like the results as much.

5. joeuhuh

joeuhuh New Member

so did u glue the material right over the fold over hair ?cant tell from pick if har was trimmed or not ut ur pic where material is pinned looks like its over the hair and cant tell from finish photo anglehow lumpy or not it looks if u glued over the hair-- never done a ped or walped so interested in final look

thanks joe

6. only overlap material ove hair, the width of your border rope to eliminate lumps.

7. joeuhuh

joeuhuh New Member

thanks for the response -- any chance u could sho how a reg ped is attatched to the base i seel lots of pics of pedestels and never anything showing how the ped is atatched to the mount i see some pipes for pedestal mounts in cataloges ut that doesnt clue me in very well either