1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Would you shoot an Elephant?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Brian, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Yes

57 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. No

40 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. Lenny

Lenny New Member

I would never given it a thought about them being so social. I know the matriarch leads the way for the cows and their young. I would have to think about it before I would shoot a Bull I don't think I would shoot a cow. I will never have to make that decision its out of my price range.My answer would be maybe. Killing is not as important as it use to be when I was younger. I get a kick out of watching wildlife.

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

One of my friend killed two a few years back. The guide told him which one had the largest tusks...when they ground checked him, they knew the big boy was still out there. He killed the largest one a few days later. He has the tusks from both in his trophy room, and they are massive.

3. Kastaway

Kastaway Taxidermist, Pioneer of Freeze Drying 1969

I have been lucky enough to kill over 15 through the years, a handful with my 100# bow. The largest had tusks of 105# per side. That was from Angola. That was done some time ago when there was a lot more hunting available, and not at such high prices. They are a neat animal to hunt because of the situations you can find yourself in. The sounds you hear when you are up close are awsome. Sure glad I was able to do it when I did.

4. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I personally do not have the desire to hunt elephant, but I would not hold that agianst anyone that does. Elephants need to be managed just like any other animal, it is just good conservation.

5. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Not me....I couldn't even fit the head in my house.... :D

6. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

I wouldn't kill one because I have no use for it. How the heck would it fit in my house lol. But I don't have any problems with them being hunted.

7. If it was here in Jersey and trampling my garden - definately. LOL

8. MHTaxidermy

MHTaxidermy (307) 640-2602

I'd shoot one, with my bow. That would be a blast.

9. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Mark you couldn't pull a bow heavy enough to kill an Elephant.LOL

10. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

I would, provided a place to display it properly. I can't think of anything, I wouldn't shoot.

11. MHTaxidermy

MHTaxidermy (307) 640-2602

Almost, wouldn't take much practice to be a able to.

12. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I would. Too many get all caught up in the emotional side of this ANIMAL. I saw a show one time on "rogue bulls" and they were literally out of control.
    Hunters took them out and the people ate good for a while. I would love to have the opportunity to take one of them.

13. I'd give it a shot, obviously, provided the necessary resources to do so.

14. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Active Member

Ohio
    Yes I would love to shoot one !!! Not too much I wouldn't shoot .

15. SteveP

SteveP New Member

If I had the financial means, I would certainly take my place at the top of the food chain. From what I've heard, none of it goes to waste.

16. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

I did shoot one.
    [​IMG]
    It was an exciting hunt and I would hunt them every year if I could.

17. Jerry did you mount it or get it mounted? that's awesome man, glad to hear you got to