1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dave's School of Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Training' started by Sarge, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

Well I am getting a late Start on what has been happening in my first week but this is the thread I will be using to keep you all up to date with what is going on here in Newburg ND. My first Whitetail here at the school is drying and I think it looks pretty good and I even have a brisket this time. I am soaking up info like a sponge and loving every minute of it. Pictures will be posted later today and as we move through the course.

Jeff

2. Sarge

Okay Pics will be added tomorrow, I am about to call it a day, Today was a busy day I skinned out my two Northern Pike, Split and turned my Antelope took out the glands and got him in the Krowtann and got the fish in the Fish Tan. Also went over completely rebuilding a Mule Deer shoulder form it ended up cut into 16 pieces and put back together. Glad that was Corbin's project. Should be a straight through week end for me maybe go fishing Sunday.

Ya gotta love a Taxidermy School where the home work is to go catch more fish to mount. Maybe go after some Walleyes for next week while I am waitting on the shell for my Bear Rug.

I always thought Fish would be harder then they actually are guess I was prejudice against them or something they sure don't seem as hard as Deer ears and eyes but I guess I will see when the paint starts to flow how hard that really is.

That's about it for tonight I smell like Fish Guts and Antelope Glands in an Old Fat Guy Package. Good Night All

Jeff

3. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

If you think any thing seems easy right now, wait until you are out of school and there is no one to look over your shoulder. LOL ;D

4. Sarge

To Start out I will begin with the introductions,

First we have Dave and Lisa Tonneson

[​IMG]

Then we have Corbin he is in his 7th week and is down here from Canada

[​IMG]

Then there is Darla she is from Minot ND she is in about her forth week

[​IMG]

5. Sarge

What we have done this week include but are not limited to

My Whitetail and my first Northern Pike are both Drying

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darla Got her 3 legged Coyote drying, a Partridge almost finished and started her Elk

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Corbin finished his beaver which he had to cut way down and rebuild the week before, and got started on his Mule Deer form only to find out this form would need major rebuilding as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He got it back together and shaped it back into the right size and shape

[​IMG]

If you wanna learn how to hand carve fish bodies, Dave gives and awesome class step by step. He worked on a 18-20 lb Northern while I did my 3 lb one that I caught the other night, it was my homework the third night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is about it for my first week, having a great time and absorbing knowledge like a sponge.

More next week as the mounts get closer to dry and more skin gets stretched.

Jeff

6. Sarge

Evening everyone, just sitting here at the school waitting for epoxie to set on my replacement nose on my pronghorn to set-up. I will be putting up more pictures tomorrow. Corbin will be leaving Friday so I have to get the shots of his finish work posted up and some more of my stuff. To date I have seven fish mounted my WT and my Lope is about 1/3 done. I will get the rest of the fish and the Lope out here after I get him drying.

Take Care and PM me sometime I am kinda out here with very few to chat with on my breaks.

Jeff

7. blkbearklr

blkbearklr Yep I am retired living off my sugar mama!!!

Sarge keep those pics and the updates coming. Doing a great job

Joe

8. Sarge

As promised todays new pics

Dave casting a new Antler mold

[​IMG]

Corbin Finishing his replica assembly from Lake Country

[​IMG]

Dave Showing off some of his client work

[​IMG]

Corbin building up Nose pad with a hypo

[​IMG]

Corbins Walleye work

[​IMG]

Corbins finished small mouth Repo

[​IMG]

Dave showing Corbin how to apply Research rock mix

[​IMG]

My first attempt at casting and molding bait fish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would have posted my Speed Goat but the darn cape went bad on me so I am waitting until next week for a new one

Tomorrow I begin on a Pheasant and have to measure my bear for the rug shell, hopefully the Mule Deer Cape comes in so I can work on that this week-end.

Have a nice Night

Jeff

9. Sarge

Well Gang I got way behind here and I completed Daves School in record time. If you consistenetly do 19 hour days you can turn the 8 week course into a 4 week course. But I am back at my shop waitting for the last pieces to completely dry and finishing them as they do so I will have more Pic's up and on here within the next couple weeks.

Keep on getting it done I am way farther ahead just like everyone told me I would be and am glad Dave let me get it done this way I have bills to pay just like everyone else and for those that were involoved the VA didn't do a Damn thing to help at all. I spent 6 1/2 months trying to get there assistance and they basically told me, Sorry we won't support your education because we don't consider it a job.

Jeff

10. blkbearklr

blkbearklr Yep I am retired living off my sugar mama!!!

Yep Voc Rehab program sucks

11. I went to school thru Voc Rehab and I could not have asked for a better counselor. Of course it took her about two years to get it approved , but once she did, everything got paid for including equipment to set up shop. I understand that a lot of other vets are having trouble with voc rehab in their states also. There was a guy that went to the same school I went to and his state only gave him ( I believe) 8 weeks training with no tools after school. Been dealing with the Va for over 20 years and believe me it is no picnic, you just have to stay on their backs. Good luck Sarge.