1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Giant Redfish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Jimmy Lawrence, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Here is my personal best!!! Caught this beast on a topwater this morning. They were coming up and eating crabs floating out with the tide.

Attached Files:

2. Nice fish Jimmy!!!!!! Bout time you caught something worth a damn. LOL ;D Hey a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. LOL ;D

Just kidding buddy! Congrats!!!!!!!!!

3. Chad See

Chad See Certified "Fish Head"

Have I told you lately that YOU SUCK!? No, seriously, that is a fine fish.... you gotta start fly fishin' for em'!!! Do I see a mount in the future?

4. Jimmy Lawrence

Lol, I caught 5 total. 2 smaller ones under 20". I saved one to mount. The other 3 ranged from 36-48". the one in the pic was the biggest. He was over 40lbs. I might get the 11wt flyrod out tomarrow and give them a go. Can't imagine that though. It was all I could do with the light spinning tackle to get the big ones in.

thanks for the compliments. i will keep the thread updated throughout the week.

Travis, my red could eat the one in your avatar......LOL. I want to do a repro of the big one someday.

5. LOL Yes it could!

Where are you at?

6. Chad See

Oh bull, that flyrod will handle those fish. I just landed a 10lb rainbow here on a 1 wt with 8X tippet! I am certain that your rod will tame those big dogs!

7. Chad you need to catch a red for yourself. LOL Not saying they can't be caught on a fly rod but they are one of the strongest fish I've ever caught. I sure as hell want some good spinning gear and some braided line wit those guys on the other end. LOL

8. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

i dont know... having caught both on a fly rod.... given the red was only about 18 inches... i can't imagine wrangling a 10lb rainbow on a 1wt. i got ahold of a 3lb stock brookie and it was all i wanted on that little 1 wt. chad that had to have been one hell of a ride..... im having flashbacks of "a river runs through it" scenes

9. Nice, my biggest was only 19. We were just down fixing up the Florida house that my grandpa had and I got the chance to hook up with a 4-5 ft tarpon.
    Are you fishing anywhere close to Ft Myers, FL.?

10. akairman

akairman New Member

thats a nice fish to come from iowa ;). i looked at your profile to see where you were from, but that gave me no clues as to where the fish was caught. i grew up catching reds inshore out of savannah, but i've never even seen one close to that size. that is a fish of a lifetime. congrats

11. Jimmy Lawrence

I am fishing with my friend Gus down in around Sebastian Florida. LOL, Travis is right chad, you have no clue how strong these beasts are . I had 10lb. braid on some really good spinning tackle, with a 2ft 20lb. florocarbon leader and these things just gut the reel. your drag has to be tight, and as soon as he takes the plug, you better be giving him the business end of what you have, or else. LOL.

Its a fish of a lifetime. And I caught 3. I was doing a cartwheel. LOL> Couldnt believe it .

thanks, Ill keep you posted.

Jimmy

12. Chad See

You sissy boys and your spinning rods (totally joking)

Well if I had a good friend named Jimmy that would take me to catch a redfish, then I may know what it is like! LOL.

It really is a fish of a lifetime and I dont care what your tackle is that thing is a beast. Congrats again and keep the pics coming!

Chad

13. AA

AA Member

Are you guys fishing for the Snook at night? I was in the same exact spot in your photo two years ago to the date (Sebastian Inlet). The Snook fishing was incredible at night drifting with the tide along the banks with pinfish. I need to get back there. It looks like you are having a ball.

14. Wow Jimmy!!!! What a fish!!! Congrats on catching such a hog.

15. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

that is a pig, you suck man LOL i would have kept THAT one ;) actually i probably wouldnt have, i would have measured and released, they are a pain in the but, and a replica is MUCH easier ;D

16. Jimmy Lawrence

I havent fished any at night. We have caught a few snook. No biggies. We got some Croakers for Snook bait tomarrow.

Russ, I called new wave to see what a blank would cost. Lol. Way easier.

17. :mad: ............ ;D

That fish is waaaaaaaaay over the size limit to be keeping anyway.

18. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

Hey Jimmy, Cade just saw this, he said he could catch them on his flyrod all day long. ;D

19. Jimmy Lawrence

The slot only allows 27" as the biggest. I didn't catch any under 27lbs, let alone 27" outta that particular spot. LOL> LOL.

And Cole knows better. I could catch them on my fly rod, fine and dandy. But landing them is the hard part. You highly underestimate the strength of a big redfish like this. People do it down here, but not myself. My bicept in my left arm is sooooo sore I cant hardly catch trout, and snook. LOL.

Cole, got us some "perdy" fish to look at when I get home. Russ, you might get to look at one up close and personal.... who knows.........

Travis Jones, If I get a Mahi, you are getting a phonecall my friend.

20. Are you going after some?