1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

deer eyelids moving

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by kycooner, Jan 22, 2007.

1. kycooner

kycooner Set'em Up Josie

after searching the archives,i still can't get a suggestion for my problem.My eyelids move around one 8th of a inch or sometimes a little more,ive starting closing them up more so when they dry there just about rite,but i don't like the guessing game,and yes i'm tucking good around the eye and pinning,the deer i just done had the eyelashes at 45 degree angle going down,he looked nice and relaxed,get up sunday morning eyelases are at 50 degree angle, look liked he was a different deer. about ready to start crazy gluing eyelid to eye, then after painting clean with acetone.Tell me another way to solve this.

Ky Cooner

2. buckeyebullet23

buckeyebullet23 New Member

Ohio
    Well the general answer you'll probably get is you need to thin your eyes more. I use critter clay around the eyes and Buckeye Supreme hide paste all around the eyes. Maybe do like you were saying just set them closed a little more. Good luck.

3. Dean

Dean New Member

You're not splitting your eye lids all the way and removing all the tissue and glads from the eey lids and not thinning them enough. Critter clay works the best for setting the eyes but I know of a few top taxidermists that use potters clay and have excellent results. I've used it myself on a bunch of deer heads when I ran out of critter clay and had no problems with shrinkage. It's all in your prep work I put money on it.

4. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

Dean nailed it. I use Dakota and critter clay for eye setting on my deer and Buckeye hide paste also. Never had any problems with eye skin wanting to drift that bad. I hafe to agree ,maybe get the eye lid skin thined a bit more and give it a try and see what happens.

5. kycooner

kycooner Set'em Up Josie

weel i havn't used any hide paste,on the clay,George said in the archives on this subject,the paste won;t stick to wet clay,as far as thinning i'll try to go farther,i stretch the eye over a bat and use a skife knife ,thouht i was getting thin enough,and i will order some critter clay for my eyes,been useing the cheaper stuff
    thanks
    Ky Cooner

6. Tenbears

Tenbears Member

Thin Those Eyes. As you separate the inner eye lid skin from the outer. Work on the outer skin toward the edge of the eye lid. when you reach the edge you will see several Meibomian glands right along the lip of the eyelid. they will be about 1/8" long, and 5/64" wide I use a scalpel, and trim them off then thin the inner eye skin until I can see my fingerprint through it. Only now is the eye ready for mounting. By using potters clay to fill and form the eye lids. the moisture in the clay slows the drying process, and helps reduce shrinkage.

7. Dean

Dean New Member

Kycooner What George says isn't always right. He gives his opinion and usually knows what he's talking about. There are many hide pastes that will dry at the same rate of the clay. It sticks to critter clay. You may be shaving around the eyes enough but how thin are you getting the inner lid and are you getting them split all the way open. If it's done right there should be no ridge where the inner eye lid meets the eyelashes and outer lid. The lids should open up flat when done. I hope you understand the explanation. Post a close up picture of your prepped eye work.

8. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i have gone to making about a 3 inch circle (with the center of the eye the middle of circle) and thinnign the he$$ out of it - its working - i always glue the skin to the clay