1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Yo! Junior Rocket Scientists!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Glen Conley, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

How's this for an enlargement of a hair follicle, huh?

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA AS TO HOW MANY TIMES THIS IS ENLARGED!?!
    Me neither.

2. Glen Conley

I thought I had better check and see if this worked before I made a complete fool of myself. You guys have to remember that it wasn't that long ago that you were computer learnin' the Piggy and me at the same time.

With the follicle enlarged, there is something of a "story" that it tells. Can you figure it out from the photo?

3. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

pick me .... pick me - it looks like a carrot - all of creation came from the vergetable kingdom

4. Glen Conley

Terry, every time I turn around, you've got another one of those smite things hangin' on ya. I got the one, that's my daily bag limit, I have no idea what possesion limit is on the thangs. Maybe someone will come along that hasn't filled their smite tag and get the other one.

'Nuther thang, the kin folk down home use to wash their haids in kerosene when they'd git sech thangs. Ya don't want 'em gettin' on yer pillow or in yer baseball cap. i 'spose if ya were to ketch enuff of 'em, ya could get weak and probably catch every computer virus that came along.

It does look like a carrot, but that's not the answer I'm looking for.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

250x, head lice?

6. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

It appears to have very little structure, like it was heated or something, causing the cell walls to colapse. Im going to hold off on my guess for a while, and let someone else take a crack at it.

7. Glen Conley

Oldshaver, I expect you'll probably figure this one out now. This one is a real basic, one of those things that guys kept getting yelled at for doing back on the "old" forums.

This photo is of the same hair, but up the shaft from the follicle.

8. Gunner1

Gunner1 New Member

That is a "hot" acid. The hair is weakened and will break in the drumming. Sulfuric? Formic? ???

9. Kept getting yelled at for what "over neutralizing"? The extreme basification above pH 12.0 will cause the complete release of the folicle.

10. cold trapper

cold trapper age 15 a trapperman w/7 prime rats!

It may seem like too hot of an acid, but in reallity i think it is over neutralizing. or maybe neutralizing twice. the hair will make a noise and crack off when you hand comb the fur. that's my opinion. 8)

11. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the ---- roll away. Atleast the one with NAOH. You need to do this much more often Glen!

12. Gina

Gina New Member

SP: NOAH........ ;)

13. Gina, he spelled it right.... NaOH. You need to read it as a chemical compound, not a Biblical patriarch.

14. cold trapper

cold trapper age 15 a trapperman w/7 prime rats!

Good one OS..hey Old Spice head shaver man! DO you think. is it the tempe-chee? ::)r...oh well. it could be All in the Family. ???

15. CT,
    You would have to know how the "pit" is designed in that tannery to fully comprehend his meaning there. Remember his post about neutralizing the effluent?

Remember how OS jumps folks for using a certain brand of laundry detergent? And with good reason too.

Unless you want to make buckskin!! :D

16. Glen Conley

You guys are GOOOD! I can't wait until we get "sound" so's oldshaver can sing us the rest of his parody. I can't quit snickering over that one! I suspicion we can throw in a little CaOH also. Once I do this thread in it's entirety, some of you will probably remember some of the details from a thread from almost a year ago on the old forum. I've got more photos, you know the kind, the ones you never see on the radio.

There's actually only one base that hasn't been covered so far. To get that one, you almost need to know what a "normal" follicle looks like. I never bothered photographing them before, heck they're everywhere. Anyone want to take a stab at that one?

Now, dadburnit, you nimble fingered rascals just bounced my post back to me again. It was David this time.

17. OK Glen,
    There are a lot of strong acids, but not many strong bases. The "base" we haven't covered here is KOH. Is that where you were going? Not many people are going to be using Cesium Hydroxide in tanning, so I am leaving that one out, but potassium compounds have been mentioned before by home tanners to yield an end product that is safe for lawns as a fertilizer.

18. Glen Conley

"There's actually only one base that hasn't been covered so far." I thought about my choice of words at the time I wrote that. Let's switch base for factor.

Think in terms of real simple, detective fashion, more physical and less cerebral.

19. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Calcium carbonate-When dissolved in solution, calcium carbonate dissociates into calcium cations (positive ions) and carbonate anions (negative ions). Once in solution, carbonate ions will increase the pH (and alkalinity) of solutions to which they are added, or so they say.

20. OK...less cerebral... we did not cover the bacterial decomposition factor. The breakdown of the hair follicle by bacterial activity (that is their job by the way, don't hate them) will actually look or act in the same fashion as the high pH factors. I am not sure how that relates to the narrowing of the hair shaft though.

My ex-employer used to say "Tanning ain't rocket science". Boy Howdy!