1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Yo! Junior Rocket Scientists!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Glen Conley, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Ahh, c'mon now! You can't tell me that last question has you guys pulling your hair! That one ain't rocket science!

I'll be back shortly, with some more photos.

2. Alex,
    What is pulling out the hair for $100?

Yeah,
    That makes sense now for the narrowing of the shaft.

What do we always say when a poster says, " I was pulling on the hair and it was coming out by the handful"?

Sheesh...Don't pull it!!!!!! Put it in a strong alum solution and tighten them babies up!

3. cold trapper

cold trapper age 15 a trapperman w/7 prime rats!

These dogs is hunt'n. 8) tell me more glen. i meant to say cheer and all detergent in my last post. you know dem 12-14 ph babies. Old Spice hates tide. and with good reason i presume. but i want to hear mo. u guys r on a roll. go for it. 8) dagumitt

4. CT,
    Can't quite make out what that coyote is doing in your avatar. What is that?

5. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Glen, are you talking about something as simple as soda ash? Sorry, I didnt read the part on CaOH before, hence, my second post.

6. cold trapper

David, the coyote is posing with it's beautiful winter prime fur. and soft leather tan. as soft as i can make 'm with out any shaving. noda none.. seriously. i over neutralized once and the hairs were breaking off right above the epidermis. they cracked off and filled the combing tines. HElp! :-[

7. Hope he isn't talking about that. Soda Ash is a particularly useful product. The other day there was a debate over Calcium Carbonate and Calcium Bicarbonate. Both have their proper place in tanning. Try soda ash for loosening the top layer on a hard to shave croc. It will get you through that tough layer due to its excellent plumping properties. I wouldn't try that with fur bearers though.

8. cold trapper

David. whats that buck doing in your avatar? scratching flees or getting ready to mount a little doe$..
    I have a joke if anybody wants to hear it later when this gets unserious. but i want to hear more about the strange folicule

9. That buck is trying to figure out what you are doing there at your keyboard and shaking his head in disbelief. And my 4 year old loves him!

Go on and tell that joke, Glen might not be back for awhile.

10. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

What happens when you mix soda ash and water?

11. cold trapper

Tell us OS? What happens? does osama Benladin get laid lady clemintine?

Good come back...David. you ol ornerie cus!

This farmer has many deer with antlers in his field, and two moma pigs with nursing babies in the barn... How much is he worth.?

:D

'

Two sows and bucks

2,000 :)

12. Grooaaannn, two sows and bucks. OK, I'm going to logout and rest up for my two sows and bucks I gotta shave this week. Good night ya'll!

13. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Tell em Glen! Lets add a little heat too.

14. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Ej, you got to be pulling corn out of your nose by now!LOL

15. cold trapper

Right idea OS, but wrong end! :p

16. Glen Conley

Oldshaver, let's add it to acid and crank the heat up a little more! Now don't go giving me too much to think about at once here. This is taking longer than what I thought it would. I'm gonna try doing this without screwing it up.

17. Glen Conley

Let me try something of a recap here for the first session.

You guys may remember a post where the guy was using a landscape brick to weight down the capes in the pickle bucket. These photos are from hair samples that were sent to me back then.

It was a formic acid pickle, and a Tide product was used. You guys already had that figured out. Milder/less reactive/less conductive acids can also produce the same end results, it just takes longer and more volume of acid.

As far as a calcium hydroxide source, the donor would/could be two fold. One the actual water source, the other that could provide donors in abundance when reacted with the acid would be from the landscape brick.

The hair samples were from an early archery buck that was in transitional coat. I had never done transitional hair before (enlargement), only skin layers, so with what the cape was subjected to I wound up getting some shots by happy accident that I would have not been able to get otherwise. That's what you are seeing here.

One thing about this microscope thing, it has a way of telling on a person. The photo that showed the hair shaft starting to take the shape of an hour glass was caused by the hair being stretched to the point of getting ready to pull in two, but the follicle gave loose from the skin first. Besides ratting out a person, it also tells you that something has softened this hair to the point that it could be pulled in two like a piece of taffy instead of simply breaking. However, it is only fair that I point out that I had asked if hair samples could be sent from the mount that was slipping. Pulling them out is one way to collect them!

What you are looking at in the below photo is probably the closest thing to a normal shaped whitetail hair follicle that I have a photo of.

The follicle could be considered within normal with the exception of the compression marks where it joins the hair shaft (notice the squared off look, instead of a rounded "shoulder") and the constriction band between the two high spots. The rounded high spot to your left is supposed to be there, the one on the other side of the constriction is not. This shows that this hair was physically pulled from a skin, and the skin was weak enough to allow it to come out.

18. Glen Conley

This next photo gives you a pretty good idea as to where I start at as far as magnifications when I start "hunting". This is the same follicle that you saw in the very first photo. From a size aspect, I did not put the micrometers on the shaft, but I doubt that it would have been .002" in diameter. Get out your winged dividers, ruler, and calculator and you can figure out as to how many times the first photo was enlarged, I'm assuming monitor settings and size will give different folks different displays.

Of special interest here is the "stuff" coming off the end of the follicle. I'll bet that none of you have ever seen anything like this in all your born days.

19. Glen Conley

Now this is some major cool stuff here. Eyeball out that hair follicle, then mentally shove it down into that vase shape, which is the "stuff" you saw at the end of the follicle in the last photo.

20. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Glen, apply the finishing touches tomorrow. Bed time-5:00am wake-up have a good one