1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How do you all consider a point on a rack?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by BigBore, Jun 7, 2009.

1. BigBore

BigBore New Member

I've always went by the point has to be 1" to make it a point. Others say if you can hang a ring like a wedding band on it that counts as a point. I have a 10 point but at the base of the antlers they are several points that stick out that you can put a ring on it but long away from 1". If I counted them with the ring rule then it would have a 15 point. What do you think a point should be?

2. i think it should have to be an inch

3. BigBore

BigBore New Member

Me too but some states consider if you can put a ring on it than that is a point. A lot of people will kill a 6 point but have burrs on it that will hold a ring and they make it a small 9 or 10 point.

4. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

look at what boone and crocket or pope and young say. Dont they say points are 1" or longer before they are counted ?

5. met

met New Member

i also was told that from the tip of the antler to the middle of the maine beam would count. if it was an inch. this was from a guy who did this for a sports outfit. so maby the ring thing is true.

6. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

the length of the point has to be longer than the width of its base, I believe is the standard.

7. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

This is off the Boone and Crockett scoring website

Point - To be a point the projection must be at least one inch long, with the length exceeding width at one inch or more of length. All points measured from tip of point to nearest edge of beam. The beam tip is also counted as a point, but it is not measured as a “point” since its length is included in total beam length.

Attached Files:

8. DeeCee is right on. That's the best definition to use for counting a point. If you're using arbitrary methods like hanging rings, you could turn a small 8 pointer into a 15 point monster.

9. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

thats what i thought deecee, thanks for posting it for him.

10. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I go by the 1 inch rule myself. ;)

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Perhaps being a taxidermist has me jaded, but I've never taken the time to count the points on a rack, lol. I suppose if someone asked, I would use Boone and Crockett's system and say it must be an inch, and must be longer than it is wide. Personally, I could care less. Points seem pretty meaningless to me. (I know I am in the minority here)

12. CarlScroggins

CarlScroggins Oct. 25 1985...It was a good day.

If it's a customer's deer and you're now scoring it, it's a point if the customer says it is. :)

13. Bowman

Bowman New Member

Funny you say that. I'll mention to someone that I got a good deer in. They'll ask how many points was it.....I have to tell them that I have no Idea...(-:

14. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

as a taxidermist, I usually end up looking more at the spread and height than the points, so I know where you're coming from Cole.
    The points aren't important in how you set the ears, or what form you use...it's the width and tallness of the rack that make the difference in what you choose.

15. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

In the SCI measuring course, the instructor told us to get a piece of 1" diameter copper tubing, and cut it 1" long. Slip it over short points, and anything extending past the end of the tube would be a measurable point...ie if 1/8 inch protruded from the tube, then the point would be scored at 1 1/8", if it was even with the end of the tube, it would be 1", if it was less then that, then it is not measurable. There are exceptions to this, for instance, a wide base short point that would not allow the tube to rest on the main beam, but it does assist in determining what is and is not a measurable point.

16. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

No problem Russ. Cole, Bobbii I can see where your from, from a taxidermist point of view. But the hunter in just has to know!!