1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

clearcoat on antlers

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by silvan, Jun 8, 2009.

1. silvan

silvan New Member

i just finished a deer and wasn't sure if I need to coat the antlers with a clear paint or just rub them down with furniture polish?

2. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

I wash off the blood and leave them natural.

3. jorgy

jorgy Member

I do the same as Kevin, nothing

4. Kittrell Hill

Kittrell Hill 9 Beard Merriam 2008 Meade Co SD

I don't put anything on antlers I take a small wire brush and get any blood off that may have dried on the antlers but that is all

5. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Do not gloss the antlers or put furniture polish on them. The way the antlers are, are the way they were when the deer was in the woods.

6. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

I leave all my antlers natural, do not put anything on them.

7. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

A little windex sprayed on a towel to remove blood works well. Nothing else.

8. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

im going to agree with all these guys. from a customer point of view i hated it, and now as a taxidermist i would never do it.

9. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

if they are bloody when they come in they are bloody when they leave unless they request I clean them off. Had a customer get mad one time he thought that was from when they shed their velvet I said it was in the shape of a hand lol So all I do now is wire brush any hide paste that I may have gotten on them from my hands.

10. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Windex and a rag, wipe them down.

11. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Linseed oil and turpetine.. 50/50... Wipe on, let set, then wipe off.. Brings out the natural color and doesnt make them look shiney.

12. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Never used it that way. I use linseed oil mixed with lacquer thinner on antelope horns, works great...what's the benefit of using it on deer? Maybe I'm having a senior moment on that one.

I use peroxide to get stubborn blood off deer antlers. Not much, a little goes a long way. Then I use Liquid Gold, sparingly. But I would never put a clearcoat on deer antlers...that stuff is awful.

13. Matt

Matt Active Member

Fresh antlers need nothing but washed if there is blood present, and this is done with a mild soap as to not disturb the natural coloring. I don't use anthing on them either.