1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Refinishing Fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Ken D., Sep 17, 2006.

1. There is a new article on the Taxidermy in Focus website...Refinishing Fish...
    www.taxidermyinfocus.com

2. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Hey Ken!

Great stuff you do! I'm glad to see I'm (and UFD)not the only one up still doing the "stuff" ! LOL!

Have a great week upcoming and I look forward to you're SMQ's answers as always!

My Best!

Rick

3. UFD

UFD Member

Ken, nice pictorial essay! It's great to see someone taking the initiative at turning a clunker into a very presentable piece. I come across several clients each year who are positively attached to a personal trophy, enough that they are willing to pay the same to restore their fish as they would for a new repro. Sometimes I've completely rebuilt the thoracic area of a fish to get some anatomical flow back into that particular area also. They are quite a bit of work I'll agree, but it's good to see them come together into something that looks more like a fish than a lizard. :)

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

"Clunker"??? Heck IF I had customer's that brought me restoration jobs that looked HALF as good as this one did originally I'd click my heels together in the Toyota leap - lol! Most I receive in are basket cases. Good article though...

5. Me too. Thats why I made mention of that in the article. This was a good subject for restoration. Most of the ones I have gotten have been worthy of a trash compactor, but I think the principles of resoration are the same and there are many of the same things to look for in updating fish.

6. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Thanks,.....

Thanks! And looking forward to seeing the follow up article on painting.

:)

Kerby...

7. You wont have to wait long...I will be posting the paint article by the end of the week.

8. mrdux

mrdux Member

Very informative site. I do several fish reconditions each year. I also learned some new tricks on the bluegill form casting. Thanks for posting the link. I look forward to new articles.