1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

After done tanning in Krowtann, next?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by msb, Jan 22, 2007.

1. msb

msb New Member

I am ready to take out the hide for the Krowtann. This is just a spare hide I was working on that is mine. What do I need to do with it now? Lay on inclined rack to Dry or shave down more with mini flesher? At what point do I shave it? Is it the same for a cape when it is finished in the Krowtann? Thank you for your help.

2. RJ

RJ New Member

If you Haven't shaven it down by now it's time to do it. Nuetralize and freeze it until your ready for it.

3. msb

msb New Member

I will neutralize the hide and then I need to shave it or freeze it. How much should I shave off? How thin should it get? I want to make sure I have it right before I do any of my capes. Thanks for your help with this!

4. Neutralize it and then stretch it as it dries...if you haven't shaved it down or at least sanded it a bit smooth, you may need a little more oil than what is already in the Krowtann mix. Use Krow-Oil, if you are not satisfied with the "stretchiness" of the hide .
    This all really depends on the thickness of the hide and in alot of cases such as an elk hide, i will use a power sander on light speed to do a quick brushing and smoothing with little pressure. in the case of a deerhide...sandpaper works pretty good, better when it is a bit dried though...
    Just be sure to stretch as it dries and you should have little to no problems.
    Of course if you want to refreeze it...be sure to wash it after neutralizing it in 1/2 CAPFUL of Liquid Tide in the washing machine on the cold/cold gentle cycle and spin it a couple of cycles to get the excess water out...works great for me.