1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Coolest skull you WANT

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by AH7, Jun 14, 2009.

1. AH7

AH7 New Member

I do a lot of work at the Smithsonian, and of course they have a few pandas. The coolest ones - from a historical perspective - are the skulls from the two pandas given to Nixon during the "Panda Diplomacy". When they died decades later they made it into the collection. Really neat. I've only ever heard of one in a private collection, but that was LONG before I had any ability to add something like that to the collection.

SW - I'm still jealous of some of the things in your collection. I'm looking forward to adding a koala at some point. One of the zoos that I work with has them, and I can't wait to dissect one - especially the cool hands. Only problem is that they are technically owned by Australia, so I might have to enter into some international diplomacy to keep them! We'll see. Koalas come up fairly often, so I think I could find one even if it isn't one of the dissection specimens.

2. zachattack10197

zachattack10197 New Member

An elephant skull..

3. AH7

AH7 New Member

I've seen several of them - but they are expensive and WAY too big. That's a lot of space to give over to one cool skull.

4. akvz

akvz New Member

What if the elephant is a Channel Islands mammoth? ;) Still expensive and rare but you at least would get yourself some space from the deal.

[​IMG]
    (of course a specimen like that would be far too valuable as a research specimen and I know I'd have too much of a guilty conscience to have it in my private collection, but...)

5. zachattack10197

zachattack10197 New Member

Yeah but by the time I can afford something like that, they would have had plenty of time to research...

6. Vkvz

Vkvz New Member

Pretty cool about the Nixon pandas!
    A few species i would love to add to my collection are komodo dragon, earless monitor, leopard seal, goblin shark...I was lucky to cross the frilled shark off my list not so long ago :)

7. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

I really would like several skulls. Of these would be a collection of larger primates. Also unique skulls like a Barbirusa male. We have one at the local zoo. He is really neat. Maybe a giant anteater. I think narwhals has been mentioned enough so I will say one of the River dolphins.

8. aquiafin

aquiafin New Member

Mine wouldn't be too hard to get… I want a Persian cat and a Pug. maybe also a Bull Terrier.

9. xxohmycaptainxx

xxohmycaptainxx Member

Hmm probably a Great Indian Hornbill. There are several rare species I want but the GIH is definitely towards the top of my list. I had wanted a baboon for the longest time, this week I'll be making my last installment payment on a large male Olive Baboon skull. I'd also love to get my hands on a mandrill.

10. mroldharry

mroldharry Member

Salt water crocodile and caiman crocodile xxl
    And other felines that I don't have.

Sent from my iPad using Ohub Campfire

11. Yeah, my list of wants is fairly limitless. My collection is nowhere nearly as big as my aspirations. :) Of course, I think on top of the list would be large carnivores (bears, large cats and the like) and the larger primates. Hell, there's so much out there that I don't have and want. I'm sure like most others, the rarer or more unique a skull is (not necessarily the same thing) the more I'd love to have on in my collection. :)

12. mroldharry

mroldharry Member

Any felines I don't have. Like cheetah and tiger. Caiman and Nile crocodile.

Sent from my iPad using Ohub Campfire

13. Yeah its really weird saltwater croc skulls from the huge males go for ridiculous amounts- thousands of dollars. Yet for like 8000 you could go to Africa and shoot a big Nile Croc for that money, minus airfare and shipping etc...

I have no idea why salty skulls go for so much, in Australia every year they harvest like 600 crocs a portion of those are monsters, its not so rare...

14. nina5150

nina5150 Well-Known Member

Mine would be any 2 headed or 2 faced animals skulls.like frank and louie.i will have to seattle on cleaning and articulating there skeleton for now.i guess its better than nothing... ;D