1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Matt Varnish for sealing?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by grygon, Jun 19, 2009.

1. FYI I have searched through the archives for sealing and bookmarked SeaWolf's <a href="http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,2213.0.html">awesome acetone stuff</a> for future reference/purchase.

But for now- I have an almost-complete raccoon skeleton. He was my very first skeleton that I dealt with August 2008 (jeez louise I can't believe how much I have collected since him!). After cleaning, degreasing, and whitening his bones I stored his skeleton in a craft bead thing (like a small tackle box) which I now realize... might not have been archive/acid-free safe. His broken skull went into a cardboard box.

The skull bits are FINE but the skeleton... oy. Every piece is showing signs of becoming chalky. Developing a weird texture on the ends/corners of every bone. I wanted to sell him for jewelers/collectors but first I think it would be right for me to seal them before any more damage. Right now the damage is small, only noticable up close. I want to hault that.

So in my art closet I use this Matt Varnish to seal my painted gourds. It works great, you can't even tell they're sealed (except for the fact that they FEEL a little different than an unsealed one). Would this be alright to use on these tiny bones? It's Winsor and Newton Galeria Acrylic Mediums Matt Varnish.

I also have Modge Podge that I planned on using as a "gesso" layer on a turtle before applying this varnish to my uber tiny turtle shell. And I don't think Beeswax would work considering that these might be used in jewelery and be handled a LOT.

Thoughts?

(again, I searched, and aside from that awesome acetone stuff that I plan on buying later, I didn't find the answer I needed)

2. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

I have yet to see a Varnish that does not yellow.....especially with time.

3. ace man

ace man New Member

how would you apply it to the bones with out them sticking together and what not ?

4. same way i would with any other wet sealant? ;) one bone at a time- using clothes line pins to hold them up off a surface to dry (then flip over and paint the other side).

but if vvarnish yellows then i guess i should hurry up and get some of that acetone stuff. grr.

5. I have a baby food jar and I believe I have plexiglass that I can scrap... I'll go ask now!

What ratio would you use? I don't want it too thick since they're real small and need to be handled.

6. found a piece of lexan... would this work?

7. Aaron H

Aaron H foxfiretaxidermy.com

Why not use Krylon Matte finish from a spray can? Nice durable finish that will not yellow. I use this on euro mounts and over recolored antlers with good results. I also coat skulls with this product and I like the look. It has a soak-in way about it on very porous bone and levels out small rough areas if you do extra coats.--Aaron H.

8. How many skulls have you coated with it? I'm just wondering, have you had any teeth crack even after using that? I already ordered the B72 but if I don't like it, I'm open to anything...

Little story- I bought a wolf skull on ebay. Seller claimed it was professionally cleaned. It nearly broke my bank but I really wanted it. It got here and... I had to go back to degreasing and cleaning it. The turbinates are STILL clogged with beetle babies/frass/whatever but I did what I could and a ton came out during the degreasing process.

So I reglued everything after it dried a few weeks. Few months later a tooth cracked. Few months after that... ALL teeth are cracked. Had I had a way to essentially embed plastic/resin/plexiglass inside every pore of that bad boy, I'd still have a nice looking skull. :(

9. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

You can fix teeth... lemme see if I can find the tutorial where I posted it...

10. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Found it!
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,125676.0.html

11. bookmarked. :) all these teeth are superglued inside the skull, so guess i'll have to be real careful with the acetone and prying them out for fixing. :)

12. Aaron H

Aaron H foxfiretaxidermy.com

The only problem I've had with teeth after coating with Krylon came in beaver teeth. Now I fill beaver teeth through the root with some epoxy before gluing them in. No problem now--of course time goes on doesn't it? Bear canines are also prone to crack but can be glued inside for insurance. My thoughts, Aaron H.

13. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

you will never look back after paraloid. krylon will yellow over time no matter what it says on the can. not a myth or speculation. ;D