1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Your preference??

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Perca, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

How do you prefer to position the pectoral fins on coldwater fish? I am including photos of the 3 basic positions.....up, out(horizontal), and down. I chose photos of fish done by 3 of our most outstanding colleagues as examples.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY
    Only my personal preference but I like positions 1&2 only because it seems more fluid but as always ref is key

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I prefer the position that clears the wall the best - lol! (Actually, depending on the application, sometimes I DO position some of the fins based on where fish are going. Usually, it's when multiple fish are involved). Realistically, I like all of them. I tend to move them around just to keep from getting bored - lol!

Btw, Just by the styles, I'm guessing (from top to bottom) Paul/Pescado (I'm not attempting that last name - lol!), Dave Campbell and DougP on the bottom???

4. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Top one is not mine

5. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Rich Bennedict, David R Campbell, Doug P.

I like 1 and 2

6. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Jimmy is correct on whose is which. It's interesting that some of the best among us do it all 3 ways....eh?

7. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I seem to postion them according to how they will fit the wall.

8. 3, when you look at salmonoids, you will see the top of the fin has more color than the bottom, this indicates that the top of the fin is just that and the bottom is muted a lot, to help camouflage the fish when its near the top of the water colum.

9. den007

den007 Active Member

I know the first 2 are probably more anatomically correct.......but I like #3.....particularly on pike and muskie.

10. Jim L

Jim L New Member

11. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I see that most guys prefer #2....out. So what then would you do about the wallside pectoral fin that would be pointing toward the wall...eh? A) Cut it off. B) Staple it to the body of the fish. D) point it down far enough to hang the fish on the wall? ;)

12. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

The same thing I do with the eye on the wall side.

13. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I use all three positions and depending on the position of the mount I cut off the wall side fin. By the way Paul that new airbrush is a super tool...thanks. JL

14. den007

den007 Active Member

Careful Paul........those PETA folks might take that the wrong way! LOL
    I will second the thanks for the new tool by Badger. It has cut my painting of details in half, truly. I just comjpleted a kid's first walleye, and did lot of scale tipping on its puny body. I will try to post a pic. Now Paul, let's see what that brush can do to one of those neato fish eyes!

15. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

LOL, you may start a whole new thread and a whole new debate.......one fin or two. :D :D

16. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

LMFAO. I can see it now..........

I will either lay the fin up next to the body, or cut it off where it meets the body.

17. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Interesting. I always left the wallside fin attached. I used mountmate hangers so I had space to spread that fin out. I cut off the wallside pectoral off of ONE trout and man the customer was NOT happy at all. :mad: I quit using mountmate hangers because even the little 2"ers cost over $4.00 each. Now I use a block of wood as a spacer and use the cheapo levelrite hangers. I know it might be considered "bush league" but HEY...that's me...eh? I still leave the wallside fin attached. [​IMG]

18. trapperr

trapperr New Member

I Like 3 , It Gives Them A More Predator Look ,