1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best herbicide for Poison Ivy and Brush??

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Missouri Creek Studio, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Missouri Creek Studio

Missouri Creek Studio Black buck Walnut pedestal

I've been fighting trying to kiil out Poison Ivy, Brush and basically scorched earth (grass and weeds) Been a weekly fight with the wet spring and summer.
    Have had some success using a 4 gal backpack sprayer with the recomended dosage of concentrated Roundup Poison Ivy and Brush killer and tossing in a pint of 2-4-D (11% active ingredient)for giggles. Messed with a Tordon mix but thats some bad stuff and is meant to apply to cut stumps.
    My remedy for the overgrowth of thorny black locusts has been a .22 for thumb sized saplings. I know power companies and some counties use a mixture that kills all including med sized trees just don't know what they use. Any suggestions. (Other than a herd of goats)
    thanks
    Doug
    MCS

2. bottom bumper

bottom bumper New Member

there is a product called REMEDY you can mix with round up, or by itself works well, use a sticker or soap for petter penetration

3. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

Grazon.

4. choo choo charlie

choo choo charlie I feel pretty good for the way I feel

Most ivy type plants and vines have a waxy leaf and require a surfactant such as Dawn or diesel fuel to keep the product in place long enough to work.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Weedmaster is a mix of 2,4D amine and Banvel. Use this with a surfactant and it will slaughter most broadleaf weeds.

Word of Warning...don't get anywhere near a garden or a legume field (soybeans, alfalfa, peanuts, etc), or cotton...the 2,4D will kill many plants just from the vapors.

This is not a grass killer...it will not harm MOST grasses.

6. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

diesel fuel.

7. Missouri Creek Studio

Missouri Creek Studio Black buck Walnut pedestal

Thaks guys do I need to add some crop oil or a bit of dertergent to make it stick and penetrate then?

8. Yes - like Charlie said. Poison Ivy has waxy leaves and you need the herbicide to stay on the plant for a while to let it work. Detergent works well.

For the brush, Tordon works great but you should paint it on the stumps, not spray it.

Bruce

9. crazycrow

crazycrow Sure ucan trust the government,just ask any indian

Poison ivy is very salt sensative,i have poured softner salt around the base of it,or just make a strong saltwater solution and pour it around the base,both ways will kill it

10. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Dont do salt, it prevenrs future growth of anything else...until the weeds start back. Salt is not good to put on the ground.

11. Nyati

Nyati I love tahr huntin

Use good old 245T, kills everything

12. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

When using Dawn as a sticker, how much is needed per gallon?

13. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Can't buy 2,4,5-T anymore in the US. Banvel is a good herbicide for woody plants. Weedmaster, that I alluded to earlier is a mixture of 2,4-D and Banvel.

14. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

around these parts they mix the roundup brush killer with diesel fuel...if all else fails, you can rent a portable torch and burn em.

15. The answer to your question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Orange

Been hard to find the last 40 years though...

16. I've been dealing with poison ivy on my property for the last 6 years. I've been using the round up tough brush and poison ivy killer, I'll have to try the diesel fuel trick to help make it stick. I've even gone as far as waiting till fall and pull it up by the roots and bag it. That actually got rid of the bigger more vine like plants. I just went out and bought three Nigerian Dwarf Goats yesterday though so I wont be using chemicals anymore. Good luck Doug

17. Round up and Diesel will kill anything. I sopayed my PI last week and its dead. less than a week and its brown.

18. I wish I knew that trick about a month ago :-\ now I have three damn goats to take care of LOL :D

19. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

2,4,5-T...that dreaded horrible bad chemical that was taken off the market in the mid 70's....when I was a kid, we would fill a coke bottle half and half with 2,4,5-T and diesel...take a machete and chop off thorn trees in the pasture and pour the mixture on the stem. I've had that crap all over me, in my clothes, hair, inhaled, and ingested..that's probably the reason nobody considers me normal today, LOL!

Then, to boot, we would put the coke bottles back in the coke rack after rinsing with a little gasoline, to be picked up for re-use...only in America!!!

20. choo choo charlie

choo choo charlie I feel pretty good for the way I feel

2-4-5-T is agent orange, we were not even allowed to discuss it in college.
    Look for an emulisifiable concentrate and add about one ounce of dawn per gallon of mixed product.
    spray in the early morning or evening or it will evaporate in the heat of the day.
    diesel fuel works great but is pretty messy and will harm your trees
    I have a bunch to get rid of as well.