1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wanna learn things like this? You can at Bill Yox whitetail workshops

Discussion in 'Training' started by Bill Yox, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Heres a mount with some bad ears, I think due to fighting and/or being locked with another buck. Completely slipped, yet the rest of the skin was fine. What do you do, trash the hide? Or just replace the ear? How, you ask? Heres a quick peek...Heres the slipped ear, ready to be removed...

[​IMG]

2. Bill Yox

New ear mounted on a liner, and being set into the mount, after the old ear was removed...

[​IMG]

3. Bill Yox

The finished "transplant"...Give me a call before Im booked at 585-637-2450.

[​IMG]

4. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

:eek:

very nice.
    and clean.

5. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Y'alls deer must be all the same damn color up there Yox! ;D

6. Bill Yox

The deer was from Saskatchewan, and the ear was from NY state. 8)

7. rj9289

Bill can i ask a question?

8. Bill Yox

Sure, ask anything, but lets do pricing by PM, k?

9. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

That's just across the "line" isn't it? ::)

10. rj9289

Thats fine and you can delete this if you need to because it's off topic, but i need to ask. why is there no crease in the back leg? here are some pics to help
    http://www.billingsgazette.net/content/articles/2007/11/08/features/outdoors/50-bucks_xol_3.jpg
    http://image28.webshots.com/29/0/80/64/260008064fpLCEf_ph.jpg
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/78/170100976_8ea237cfd5.jpg?v=0

11. GreenBullhead

GreenBullhead Peep peeep peep C:

I thinking the same thing Ryan... ???

12. rj9289

im ready for Bill to give me the exact reason! i know there is one im just not sure what it is.
    maybe because that deer weighed 300+ ??

13. Bill Yox

Only two of your pics opened for me, but my guess is, they show a leg extended from the body and mines tucked in tight for that sized buck. Yes, he was definitely over 300 lbs. Between the stifle fold, thickness of hair, fat, and the position, its just not as well defined. Personally, I would find either way acceptable if I were judging. If I ever get a scanner, Ill be able to show MY picture proof too.

14. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Bill may come on and give you a different answer, but everything is relative. Its weight distribution. Notice how Bill's deer' head is positioned verses your reference pics. You will also notice that on Bill's deer the butt is more over the leggs and in your pics the leg is kicked out more. If you were to look inside the deer' skeletal you would find that the hip joint is in tight while in your pics the hip joint is rotated out. Thats just what I see, but I'm sure Bill will answer you much better that I did. So we'll wait and see what he has to say about it. LOL

15. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Ooooppps!

16. rj9289

i was just curious. Thanks!

17. GreenBullhead

GreenBullhead Peep peeep peep C:

Oh gosh that's one fat deer. LOL
    I did look up a few pics, and they were similar to this mount. Maybe it's the way the leg is extended, or not extended.

18. Bill Yox

I altered this form quite a bit for size and pose, so you can bet I had reference there too. Thus the ad for my workshops, lol... 8)

19. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LMAO Obviously you guys have never mounted the big guys from the cold country. Hair on a deer that size is going to be 3 inches long to begin with. Few people realize that most animal movements take place INSIDE the skin rather than outside it. We taxidermists created that monster, but in real life, even your dog's back leg will fold forward like that without having that relief tuck crease. (DON'T CHEAT AND SNEAK A LOOK NOW!) Catch a badger sometime if you're REALLY brazen and pick it up by it's back skin. The animal can and will turn inside his skin and ruin your day completely. So even though Bill's too nice to say things like this, MAKE SURE you're right before you ASSume anything. In this case, with a winter killed Saskatchewan buck, you're not going to see crease or veins or ribs are ANYTHING other than one big fluffball of fur. That is - except in a taxidermists shop who doesn't know about Canadian deer.

20. rj9289

i have never mounted one george, thats why i asked...not ASSumed. i asked why it was like that. ;)