1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Help With LONG Horn

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by D. Matthews, Jun 22, 2009.

1. D. Matthews

D. Matthews Taxidermist, Paramedic, Family man

I have a client that wants his long horn mounted but he only wants the head mounted not a full shoulder mount. does anyone know of a supplier that offers just a head or will I have to just alter a shoulder form to work. he said that he didn't have room for a full shoulder mount and wanted it to look similar to A skull mount except with the mounted head.

2. BWS

BWS New Member

I don't believe they sell just the head....

If it were mine, i would pour a block of foam and carve a head using the skull for reference and use wood inserts for strength. A little more work, but sheesh-the forms for longhorns are too expensive to use just the head.....unless you need alot of rocks made from the rest of the form ;)

3. Just charge the guy and cut the form down. I have a Watusi to do and the guy wanted the same thing. I told him it would look bad and he said do what you have to but mount it. There is no head or even a neck form.

4. D. Matthews

Thanks for your help. I am just going to use a shoulder form and alter it and like BWS said i'll just have alot of rocks to make out the rest

5. Frog

Frog New Member

Call your supplier & see if they will just pour the head for you.Don't hurt to ask.Or mold & make your own with the real skull.

6. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

All the molding and carving ideas sound cool but you'll loose money doing either one. Buy a form, cut it off , install a board and mount it. You will have more time in it than a full shoulder mount so charge accordingly.

7. D. Matthews

Jerry that was my thoughts too time is money and I can always use the rest of the form for something else. I just hate paying that much for a form just to whack the head off but it's the most simple way to do it.

8. Buy the form cut the head and charge him for a full shoulder mount.